markchan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I will probably be doing my MSc in Computer Science in UK next year. I am wondering if I will have a chance to do a summer internship. Unlike schools in US where it takes two years to complete and allows students to have a summer internship, the course in UK takes only one year or 9 months to be exact. Do normally MSc students have a chance to do an internship?

Thank you, all
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A UK taught Masters usually lasts one calender year, Sepember to September. You have lecture and seminar-based units for the first two semesters, then spend the third semester working on your dissertation (independent research project). You don't usually find Masters courses which last only 9 months, so I suspect this is what you're seeing in your timetable.

I managed to negotiate two days of work experience per week for a month during my dissertation work, but this was with the agreement of my supervisor. Many might not look so kindly on the idea. Talk to your supervisor and see what they say.
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by markchan)
Hi, I will probably be doing my MSc in Computer Science in UK next year. I am wondering if I will have a chance to do a summer internship. Unlike schools in US where it takes two years to complete and allows students to have a summer internship, the course in UK takes only one year or 9 months to be exact. Do normally MSc students have a chance to do an internship?

Thank you, all
As Klix88 said, it's 12 months, not 9 months. After 9 months you'd end with a PgDip, not a full MSc.

Where are you from?

If from within the EU, you can look at Cardiff's CS programmes, they have an internship/placement attached to at the end:

http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/postgra....html?school=6

Some MSc programmes offer a company-based research project.
Zefiros
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some CS courses are only 9 months. Take the Cambridge MPhil in Advanced Computer Science, for instance.

By the way, why would an internship have to be during your course? No one prevents you from doing one in the summer before or after your MSc.
markchan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you everyone The reason that I want to do an internship during my study is because some companies do not accept interns who already finished their degrees. They only accepts those who are pursuing their degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads