The Student Room Group

Applying for Manchester but not sure I'll get the grades?

Hello

I'm applying to do a degree in geography at Manchester which looks for AAB. For AS level I got A in geography, A in business and economics, C in Psychology and D in History but have dropped Psychology and am carrying on with history. I was thinking I could retake one/both of the modules for history and hope to improve as I know I really messed up..

I'm also doing an EPQ but not sure if that counts towards anything?

Do you think it's worth applying for Manchester as I haven't quite got the grades as of yet?
Reply 1
Original post by Wonderlands
Hello

I'm applying to do a degree in geography at Manchester which looks for AAB. For AS level I got A in geography, A in business and economics, C in Psychology and D in History but have dropped Psychology and am carrying on with history. I was thinking I could retake one/both of the modules for history and hope to improve as I know I really messed up..

Do you think it's worth applying for Manchester as I haven't quite got the grades as of yet?

You should be alright - what is your prediction for History? They do realise that AS grades aren't absolute, which is why they consider the predictions significantly. AAD to AAB isn't impossible, and with a/some resits is completely realistic.
Popped this in Applications and UCAS for you :h:
Your opinion is clearly wrong: 'The EPQ gives A-level students excellent preparation for university-level study and may help boost their UCAS application.' 'The skills that students develop through the Extended Project are directly relevant to and useful for university-level study.'

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/connect/teachers/students/post-16/extended-project/

Original post by Wonderlands
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah! @Pectorac,I am not doing any EPQ's.Does that mean others will be preferred over me?(Applying for Economics)
Original post by Skill Twix
Ah! @Pectorac,I am not doing any EPQ's.Does that mean others will be preferred over me?(Applying for Economics)

Not necessarily, as your AS grades and predicted A2 grades are far more important. It may happen that someone doing an EPQ is preferred over you if they have similar grades and a good reference, but don't worry about it. It shouldn't really affect your chances that much, because the EPQ is just an additional thing you can go to get an extra 'point' with them. It all depends on the quality of your application as a whole, compared to the other applicants'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pectorac
Not necessarily, as your AS grades and predicted grades A2 grades are far more important. It may happen that someone doing an EPQ is preferred over you if they have similar grades and a good reference, but don't worry about it. It shouldn't really affect your chances that much, because the EPQ is just an additional thing you can go to get an extra 'point' with them. It all depends on the quality of your application as a whole, compared to the other applicants'.

Ah Cheers!If you remember I wanted to apply to UCL but I've taken them out of my list.KCL replaces UCL!
Reply 7
Tbh I still think it's worth it as it gives you something to talk about as well as boosting UCAS points when applying to unis that call for a certain no.
Reply 8
Original post by Nymthae
You should be alright - what is your prediction for History? They do realise that AS grades aren't absolute, which is why they consider the predictions significantly. AAD to AAB isn't impossible, and with a/some resits is completely realistic.

I'm not sure about my prediction because my school are focusing on Oxbridge and medic students first so haven't really discussed predictions etc. with us. Thank you though, taken some of the stress off!
Reply 9
Original post by Pectorac
Your opinion is clearly wrong: 'The EPQ gives A-level students excellent preparation for university-level study and may help boost their UCAS application.' 'The skills that students develop through the Extended Project are directly relevant to and useful for university-level study.'

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/connect/teachers/students/post-16/extended-project/

Thank you! I also think they might help if your EPQ is relevant to the course you hope to study! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending