The Student Room Group

I am doing a foundation degree, can i go to a different uni after?

I am doing a foundation degree in engineering, once completed and I get the right grade (55% or higher) I will then be able to go on and study engineering year 1 at the university (I've applied for electrical & electronic), but I want to go and study at a different university, only I did not get the right a levels to study the foundation at the university I wanted to go too. Will I be able to apply for the university I want with my foundation degree or is that not possible? Is the foundation degree a qualification in itself?
Original post by helenajk
I am doing a foundation degree in engineering, once completed and I get the right grade (55% or higher) I will then be able to go on and study engineering year 1 at the university (I've applied for electrical & electronic), but I want to go and study at a different university, only I did not get the right a levels to study the foundation at the university I wanted to go too. Will I be able to apply for the university I want with my foundation degree or is that not possible? Is the foundation degree a qualification in itself?

Whether or not you get a qualification from it depends on your individual course. If it's a "foundation degree", as opposed to a "foundation year", then presumably you do but I'd double check if I were you.

I know some universities don't accept people who've done a foundation year elsewhere but I don't know if that's also true for foundation degrees. In any case, it would be best to identify the universities you're interested in applying to and contact them individually.
Reply 2
Original post by helenajk

yes, if its a foundation year then you can go onto the 1st year of a degree and if its a foundation degree then you can get entry onto the 2nd or 3rd year depending on the specific universities admissions procedures.

Quick Reply