Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Dickie)
    im starting to feel left out. We've had threads about the north and south, but none about the midlands!

so, who else lives in the best part of the country?
    Lincolnshire
    It's kinda midlands, well it is east midlands really
    J

(Original post by silent p......?)
    i used to live in grantham in lincolnshire, and now in the south everyone calls me a northener, and if i go to the north or midlands they call me a southerner.
    O my fricking god. I live just outside grantham (and have lived there)
    J

(Original post by Helenia)
    I definitely do in the holidays, and sort of do at the moment (Cambridge is not really South, after all). My friends all accuse me of being Northern :mad:
    its kinda annoying aint it. we say Gr-ass and ba-th but often because midlands havent really strong accent (east midlands like lincolnshire dont) then we dont have the northern accents
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    its kinda annoying aint it. we say Gr-ass and ba-th but often because midlands havent really strong accent (east midlands like lincolnshire dont) then we dont have the northern accents
    J
    I got the piss ripped out of me the other day because I said "Newcastle" with a short a. I can never decide which to use, it depends who I am talking to. I think Midlands does have an accent (hello, brummie!) but fortunately I don't have much of it.

ReputationRep:
    I got the piss ripped out of me the other day because I said "Newcastle" with a short a. I can never decide which to use, it depends who I am talking to. I think Midlands does have an accent (hello, brummie!) but fortunately I don't have much of it.
    Everyone in the world ever takes the p*** out of my accent
    There are very few northerners in college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Everyone in the world ever takes the p*** out of my accent
    There are very few northerners in college.
    There are quite a few randomly round here, but few with really strong accents. I find the northern accent much smoother and nice to listen to than London/general southern accents. I tend to copy it if I'm talking to someone with an accent. I think it's quite cool.

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few randomly round here,
    Aye indeed, the lovely Natalie for one
    And her neighbour Matt from staircase J.

ReputationRep:
    I can put on the said Lancashire accent very well but alas it is not my real accent.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, although I don't really know them that well. Plus many others, and some of the medics too

I am the most Southern person in my dissection table group, apart from an international student.

Joey - what is your real accent?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, although I don't really know them that well. Plus many others, and some of the medics too

I am the most Southern person in my dissection table group, apart from an international student.

Joey - what is your real accent?
    The Queens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    The Queens.
    Properly, as in all nasal, or just public schoolboy English (softer)?

ReputationRep:
    The Queens.
    I wish you'd learn to use apostrophes correctly young man....

ReputationRep:
    Properly, as in all nasal, or just public schoolboy English (softer)?
    Public school. I do have slight hints of Lancashire here and there though. I purposefully say 't....' a lot around my dad as well as he is from Yorkshire, not that you could tell from his accent either though.

ReputationRep:
    I wish you'd learn to use apostrophes correctly young man....
    Pah, my English is very good on paper. I have seriously problems when typing for some reason, I type phonetically and everything else goes to pieces.

ReputationRep:
    Public school. I do have slight hints of Lancashire here and there though. I purposefully say 't....' a lot around my dad as well as he is from Yorkshire, not that you could tell from his accent either though.
    *swoons*

Meerkat may be an idiot, but there is something about that way of speaking...and that manner... (not yours personally, just in general).

And yes, learn about apostrophes

ReputationRep:
    *swoons*

Meerkat may be an idiot, but there is something about that way of speaking...and that manner... (not yours personally, just in general).

And yes, learn about apostrophes
    You couldn't tell the difference between me and an OE.

Apostrophes are rubbish. English should have breathings like Greek

ReputationRep:
    You couldn't tell the difference between me and an OE.

Apostrophes are rubbish. English should have breathings like Greek
    Half the people here still think you are one! And that is very good, we like that, in an entirely non-threatening manner

My friend tried to teach me about breathings. I stopped listening after he explained why Helen in Greek only has 4 letters.

ReputationRep:
    Half the people here still think you are one! And that is very good, we like that, in an entirely non-threatening manner

My friend tried to teach me about breathings. I stopped listening after he explained why Helen in Greek only has 4 letters.
    'Ellas, 'Ellas.

Helen = light

ReputationRep:
    Ive just joined this forum and Im from the midlands in fact the middle of the midlands Coventry

ReputationRep:
    'Ellas, 'Ellas.

Helen = light
    I know Unfortunately my sister's name means Princess, and she won't let us forget!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.