The Student Room Group

Book or Kindle???

Poll

Book or Kindle?

Personally I don't think that reading on a kindle comes close to the experience of holding a book in your hands. Which do you prefer?

Scroll to see replies

Definitely a book. I did have a kindle but I didn't like it so I sold it. The good thing about a kindle is that you can have thousands of books in one electronic item and read whichever one you want. But with paper books, the smell of it brings back the good times lol and it is easier to reference in essays as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Queen Cersei
Personally I want to burn all kindles, there is nothing like a real book!

Exactly!!!.. kindle gives me a headache! !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-Venezia-x
Definitely a book. I did have a kindle but I didn't like it so I sold it. The good thing about a kindle is that you can have thousands of books in one electronic item and read whichever one you want. But with paper books, the smell of it brings back the good times lol and it is easier to reference in essays as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love the smell!
Both. I have about 320 on my Kindle and I love my real books equally. Both have their advantages.

Kindle is fantastic for taking on holidays or long trips, no need to give up space for other items, you can travel with hundreds of books in that tiny little thing. It's also good for people who aren't quite such avid readers and would rather pay 70p or download from the bestselling free section to dip in and out of.

If there is a good series like Wheel of Time, Northern Lights, or a specific author (I have a shelf of Stephen King) then I would buy paper/hardback. They are the kind of books I will revisit. Also they look bloomin' lovely in a bookcase. Kindle is where I browse to explore new genres, read the free books, download anything in the area of my studies. Real books are the ones I love/look forward to and keep proudly on their shelves. I couldn't give up either.
Definitely real books. I like the feel of a real book, and of course it means I have a very visible book collection that I can see building up.

Not all books are available for kindle either. I have a brilliant book with lots of really good photographs in it but with the size of the pages I just can't see how it would ever work on a kindle of it was made available as an ebook.

There's nothing wrong with the real books I use at the moment, so why change?
Reply 6
Kindles for holiday, book for anything else.
Reply 7
When I'm a millionaire I intend to have a bookcase full of kindles just to show off.

( I already have 8!)
Reply 8
The romance attached to books is total nonsense. Who cares how it smells or feels? You buy a book for the content, not the smell, and the content is just the same on a Kindle.
Reply 9
Book. Reading a real book is a much richer experience than reading an ebook, and the look of seeing all my books lined up flush together in my library is very satisfying. But I can't move around the world and haul 300+ books with me, so they will have to go. I will embrace the Kindle and search for richness anew.
Reply 10
Funnily enough i have found that owning kindles has lead to me buying more real books!

I think a persons age might influence their preference.

I think the main advantage of a book is that it's easier to flip through it and find something interesting so that for non fiction books are better but the main advantages of a kindle ( apart from portability) is that it encourages you to read more books ( if that is in fact an advantage) but much more importantly it's easier to speed read using a kindle due to being able to adjust the number of words on the page.
In conclusion I think anyone who doesn't use both is missing out
The smell of books and the suspense when turning pages is just something else
Reply 12
I'd go with books all the way - my collection is huge.

It doesn't help that I go into a bookstore every time I see one I usually walk out with 1-3 more books :colondollar:
I have both. My Kobo (cheap kindle) was what I took to Nepal when I went for a month and it was honestly the best investment I've ever made, one of my friends had to throw out the three books she'd brought with her to make room for souvenirs and another was stuck lugging ASOIAF: A Game of Thrones around Nepal for 27 days! Light, long battery life and plenty of free books available through project gutenberg etc. However as an English student I tend to buy paper copies of most books, I only really use the Kobo to buy replicas for on the go or for when I want to get a book for free but it's worthwhile.
Books! I've probably bought hundreds and I buy a lot of second hand books and just haven't been able to justify buying a kindle. I also love bookshops and the feel of reading an actual book :tongue:
I'm a big reader, and a couple of summers ago (aged 12ish) I went on holiday for an entire 8 weeks. This was the first time I was allowed to pack my own suitcase which turned out to be a disastrous idea because I filled it up with books and had room for like one shirt. Mum luckily realised like an hour before leaving the house and she frantically threw clothes in.

So from then on, Kindle for a holiday, books for normal :P
One of my fondest memories is ploughing through a coffee stained copy of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in a weird diner in New Jersey, I was buzzing on caffeine and Ken Kesey and lost about 6 hours...saying all that nothing beats a Kindle for convenience and commuting or dealing with a massive hardback.
Kindle was the best thing I ever bought, no more shelves of books that I only repeat read every couple of years but dont want to part with. The ability to take loads of books on holiday with minimal space. Since I have an Ipad now though I have taken to reading books on that using the Kindle App when at home, I like the bright white screen although I still take the Kindle away with me.
Original post by Queen Cersei
Personally I want to burn all kindles, there is nothing like a real book!

Not sure if burning them is the best idea, that would release lots of nasty gasses. I'd advocate recycling them instead.
Books! however if i had a kindle, i would buy the books that i knew i was going to love and buy books on the kindle if i thought i might not love the book that much...if that makes sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending