Turn on thread page Beta

abbreviation of words acceptable in general chat? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    But since there was a comma and a dash in that post, I'll forgive you.
    oh yes - the dash - one of my favourites - i always seem to use it on here, even when there is no need - i find it helps emphasise what i'm trying to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggysqueak)
    I hate speaking on MSN to people who use too many abbreviations. The conversation always seem to go
    'hi', 'hi', 'how r u?' 'gr8 u?' 'gr8 2', 'gd gd' 'g2g' 'bibi' 'xxx'
    lol, tru, but mine is a bit more intersting i.e. 's'up brav', 'yo', 'u heard bout da geza who got banged out' , 'wen' , '2day' 'serious' , 'yea',etc,

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here read 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I voted yes, not thinking of txt chat. txt speak really annoys me! I find it fairly hard to read a whole long thread in txt. Probably because I didn't grow up with it.
    yeh - i should have been more specific - i meant just occasionally - i don't think there are many people on here who type whole posts in text speak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    yeh - i should have been more specific - i meant just occasionally - i don't think there are many people on here who type whole posts in text speak
    I've seen some on other board - they make your brain bleed! Usually 3 or 4 paragraphs are written in one continuos one too - double bleed!!!

ReputationRep:
    It's sat on my bed ide table! My other half has just finished it and now it's mine!

Gonna crack on with it tonight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I've seen some on other board - they make your brain bleed! Usually 3 or 4 paragraphs are written in one continuos one too - double bleed!!!
    wow - that would be annoying actually, i'd probably just ignore their post. i don't think there is a problem with anyone on this forum though (that i've come accross anyway)

ReputationRep:
    What's it about?

ReputationRep:
    I voted yes, but I would say keep it to a minimum and use abbreviations that everyone knows. I think we know 'ppl' and 'LOL' well enough to understand them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    What's it about?
    Correct use/importance of of punctuation etc.

The title comes from a newspaper artical about pandas, where they said pandas 'eat, shoots and leaves' rather than 'eats shoots and leaves'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    What's it about?

here's a bit of blurb from the cover:
    (Original post by eats, shoots and leaves)
    Novelist, radio presenter and Times columnist Lynne Truss takes a militant approach to punctuation that will delight sticklers everywhere, and aims to recruit an army of punctuation vigilantes.....

Release your Inner Pedant and put the apostrophe in its place!

A panda walked into a café. He ordered a sandwich, ate it, then pulled out a gun and shot the waiter. ‘Why?’ groaned the injured man. The panda shrugged, tossed him a badly punctuated wildlife manual and walked out. When the waiter consulted the book, he found an explanation. ‘Panda. Large black and white mammal native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.’

Novelist, radio presenter and Times columnist Lynne Truss takes a militant approach to punctuation that will delight sticklers everywhere, and aims to recruit an army of punctuation vigilantes.

Sharp, hilariously uncompromising and, above all, RIGHT, this is the book for everyone who boycotts supermarkets that have checkouts for ‘8 items or less’, rages about those who use the word ‘media’ in the singular, and refuses to buy ‘CD’s"! As the author herself urges: ‘Sticklers unite! You have nothing to lose but your sense of proportion.’

ReputationRep:
    hehe! - sounds quite amusing!

ReputationRep:
    as long as it's easy to read and everone knows what you mean its great, quick 'n' easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    do you think the abbreviation of words is acceptable in general chat?

have you nothing better to do.
    perhaps i have nothing better to do than anwer it!
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    In 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' it had a wonderful example of incorrect use of the apostrophe.
    A sign in America read '******'s out'
    Someone had written underneath it (but he'll be back again later)
    Hee hee

ReputationRep:
    I have real trouble reading text speak, they will probably invent a word for a disorder where people cannot cope with reading voweless words...

ReputationRep:
    no - i hate them. ok, there are some which are perfectly acceptable, but posts like this i really really hate

any1 single. i am and i h8 it i really wish the rite person wud *** along!!!
    surly if your going to the trouble of making a thread, it takes 4 more seconds to write words properly.

love Katy ***

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.