Reety
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello TSR Members,

I've taken 'Computer Science' as a fifth AS. And I would like to ask if the AS is generally a difficult and hard to comprehend. I've read examiner reports and so far It does not look so good.

I would like to ask if anyone has any prior knowledge to these specific exams and if they do if they can share their experiences and views upon it:

Unit F451 - Computer fundamentals
Unit F452 - Programming techniques and logical methods

If anyone has any revision resources/notes that I may have I would be extremely greatful.

Thank you,
Reety.

(This is the website which shows information upon the subject and exams

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...ing-h047-h447/
pleasedtobeatyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reety)
I did Computing up to A2.

It's not too difficult, if you can handle A-Level Maths, then it should be fine. All you need to have is a bit of logic and to be switched on.

The first few lessons in programming will be pretty daunting. It's like learning a foreign language (well it is a language) from scratch, it starts off impossible but gets much better as soon as you learn a few phrases here and there.
TechRaid3r
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing A2 computing now. It's pretty easy as long as your logic and maths skills are decent. If you got above A for GCSE maths you're sorted. You don't even need to be able to program to a high standard. Just basic functions. There are threads on TSR with great revision guides based on the mark schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reety
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by pleasedtobeatyou)
I did Computing up to A2.

It's not too difficult, if you can handle A-Level Maths, then it should be fine. All you need to have is a bit of logic and to be switched on.

The first few lessons in programming will be pretty daunting. It's like learning a foreign language (well it is a language) from scratch, it starts off impossible but gets much better as soon as you learn a few phrases here and there.
Thank you for the reply, how long do you think it will take on average to learn the theory side of computing?
pleasedtobeatyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reety)
Thank you for the reply, how long do you think it will take on average to learn the theory side of computing?
In the first year, these's a low-medium amount but in the second year there's a ton of stuff to cover.

Of course, there's the logic parts which take 5 minutes to learn but a while to master (two's complement, floating point) but then there's those bits which just drag on and on and on, with lots of definitions (structure of the internet, security).

Although, I would say that if you are the tech-type and know about IP addresses, phishing, etc then you will have a decent head start and you don't have to worry too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (32)
13.79%
Virtual campus tours/open days (51)
21.98%
Live streaming events (22)
9.48%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (23)
9.91%
A uni comparison tool (54)
23.28%
An in-person event when available (50)
21.55%