How can a school charge £100 for a DBS check?

Watch this thread
xjay1234
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
There is a school where I am looking to some class observation.

As I am only observing (won't be getting paid at all) I should be classed as a volunteer.

The school said it will cost £100 which is ridiculous considering the DBS enhanced check with lists cost £44.

How much should a DBS check before for a volunteer?
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I heard it was about £90 or something.

I volunteer in a school and I've never have a DBS check :/
xjay1234
Rep:
(Original post by Maid Marian)
I heard it was about £90 or something.

I volunteer in a school and I've never have a DBS check :/
Different schools have different policies.

But the school that are charging £100 says I would need that before going onto their premises.

But I know for a fact as a volunteer the cost is MUCH less!!!!!

http://www.dbschecks.co.uk/pricing-2/

£21.60!!!!

I rang them and they said that I would need to fill in some volunteer form thing via which ever school it is to get that pricing.

All I am wanting to do is OBSERVE SOME DAMN LESSONS! Not for it to cost me an arm and a leg!
Mr M
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xjay1234)
Different schools have different policies.

But the school that are charging £100 says I would need that before going onto their premises.

But I know for a fact as a volunteer the cost is MUCH less!!!!!

http://www.dbschecks.co.uk/pricing-2/

£21.60!!!!

I rang them and they said that I would need to fill in some volunteer form thing via which ever school it is to get that pricing.

All I am wanting to do is OBSERVE SOME DAMN LESSONS! Not for it to cost me an arm and a leg!
There is no charge for volunteers. You don't need to go to a commercial company - they are just leeches.
xjay1234
Rep:
(Original post by Mr M)
There is no charge for volunteers. You don't need to go to a commercial company - they are just leeches.
Well I rang the PROPER DBS people and they said as a VOLUNTEER or like me JUST OBSERVING SOME LESSONS. They said it is FREE OF CHARGE.

But they said the school might charge an admin fee. (How much that could be depends)

That is why I know it is bull5hit for that school to charge £100 for me to observe is BULL!!!!

If this is the case I won't bother with these observation and will just apply as normal for my PGCE.
ByronicHero
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Either pay it or volunteer with a charity who are likely to obtain one for you for free/at cost.

Good luck though, mine took 4 months because the police service is incompetent.
Mr M
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Well I rang the PROPER DBS people and they said as a VOLUNTEER or like me JUST OBSERVING SOME LESSONS. They said it is FREE OF CHARGE.

But they said the school might charge an admin fee. (How much that could be depends)

That is why I know it is bull5hit for that school to charge £100 for me to observe is BULL!!!!

If this is the case I won't bother with these observation and will just apply as normal for my PGCE.
Alternatively you could just go to a school that does not require a DBS or is happy to arrange one for you without charge ...
xjay1234
Rep:
(Original post by Mr M)
Alternatively you could just go to a school that does not require a DBS or is happy to arrange one for you without charge ...
Yes another school has given me the thumbs up to come in to observe.

I just want the DBS certificate with it so I don't have to pay again come PGCE application (that time the certificate would still be in date).

Tomorrow I will find all out for sure.
Veggiechic6
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Do you have any previous DBS/CRB? The school I'm volunteering a simply asked me to show them a CRB up to 3 years old. I had one from Oct 2012 from a previous job and they were happy with that.

I wouldn't bother doing the observation at this school, as they are clearly trying to take advantage of you.
xjay1234
Rep:
(Original post by Veggiechic6)
Do you have any previous DBS/CRB? The school I'm volunteering a simply asked me to show them a CRB up to 3 years old. I had one from Oct 2012 from a previous job and they were happy with that.

I wouldn't bother doing the observation at this school, as they are clearly trying to take advantage of you.
No I don't have any CRB/DBS certificate.

You are right. They are taking advantage.

F them.

I will go to another school.
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes another school has given me the thumbs up to come in to observe.

I just want the DBS certificate with it so I don't have to pay again come PGCE application (that time the certificate would still be in date).

Tomorrow I will find all out for sure.
You would have had to have a seperate DBS check for the course anyway as they want it as up to date as possible. Each place I've worked for which requires a DBS check has always wanted to do its own. However, I've never once had to pay for a DBS check and my PGCE course certainly didn't make me.
xjay1234
Rep:
(Original post by Shelly_x)
You would have had to have a seperate DBS check for the course anyway as they want it as up to date as possible. Each place I've worked for which requires a DBS check has always wanted to do its own. However, I've never once had to pay for a DBS check and my PGCE course certainly didn't make me.
Okay fine.

So you can agree then that the school that are talking £100 are trying to f me off then?

Just to observe a lesson I shouldn't be paying no damn £100. I would accept I fee like £20 or something but £100 they can *keep the language sweet *

So your DBS check for the PGCE was free? okay.

All the best.
Shelly_x
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Okay fine.

So you can agree then that the school that are talking £100 are trying to f me off then?

Just to observe a lesson I shouldn't be paying no damn £100. I would accept I fee like £20 or something but £100 they can *keep the language sweet *

All the best.
It does cost a fee to get a DBS check, but it usually covered by the employer or volunteering place and I thought it was around £40. So £100 seems steep, but it may be that they don't have a budget for this kind of thing but require you to have a DBS check to go into schools.
I think the majority of DBS checks for jobs and pgce courses are free. Although I obviously haven't done every PGCE course or job
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You would have had to have a seperate DBS check for the course anyway as they want it as up to date as possible. Each place I've worked for which requires a DBS check has always wanted to do its own. However, [B]I've never once had to pay for a DBS check and my PGCE course certainly didn't make me[/B].
I guess you didn't do your course in London.
Shelly_x
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
I guess you didn't do your course in London.
Nope, wouldn't dream of it Yorkshire for me.
TraineeLynsey
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I've never had to pay for one either. Had one done for a TA role, one for uni, one for my current job and a list 99 check when volunteering.
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Okay fine.

All the best.
Damn, I feel ripped off by my uni now. We had to pay £47 for our DBS

Posted from TSR Mobile
xjay1234
Rep:
(Original post by Airfairy)
Damn, I feel ripped off by my uni now. We had to pay £47 for our DBS

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL You had to pay for a DBS for University? What you mean PGCE? Or do you mean a BA University course you have to pay a DBS fee? Sorry I am confused.co.uk/flu
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
LOL You had to pay for a DBS for University? What you mean PGCE? Or do you mean a BA University course you have to pay a DBS fee? Sorry I am confused.co.uk/flu
I had to pay for the DBS for my PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
xjay1234
Rep:
(Original post by Airfairy)
I had to pay for the DBS for my PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is natural mami.

Laters
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads