I started AS Level French today, 6 weeks into the academic year! How do I catch up?

Watch
Azzer11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Basically, I swapped Physics for French after I found Physics to difficult and uninteresting and decided to take French. I hadn't been in a French Lesson since Year 10 so my Linguistic skills are a bit rusty. My classmates all seem really good at french and I need to catch up on the missed topics. Any useful resources or tips and advice?
Azzer11
Rep:
?
:bump:
FREYA2898
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go over gcse french!
Komodo dragon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Azzer11)
Basically, I swapped Physics for French after I found Physics to difficult and uninteresting and decided to take French. I hadn't been in a French Lesson since Year 10 so my Linguistic skills are a bit rusty. My classmates all seem really good at french and I need to catch up on the missed topics. Any useful resources or tips and advice?
Hey there,
When I started AS French I had moved to a new sixth form school (everyone in my class had already been at that school) Like you, I hadn't done GCSE french since year 10, and found everyone in my class was way, way ahead of me. They had been tought all these tenses and topics, and although I was great at speaking I could barely write. My best advice would be to learn off by heart the basic grammar (present, past and future tenses), as this is the backbone to all the writing. Ask your teacher for sheets, a textbook... and don't be afraid to ask if you can go in at lunch/afterschool. I struggled most with grammar, so got myself a AS workbook, which helped massively. (Below is an example). Just work really hard and you'll get there! Don't feel ashamed if you're finding it very tricky- I went in at lunch twice a week, worked reallly hard on my writing and got highest in the class last year! Good luck, anything else just ask

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-French-A...french+grammar
Azzer11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Komodo dragon)
Hey there,
When I started AS French I had moved to a new sixth form school (everyone in my class had already been at that school) Like you, I hadn't done GCSE french since year 10, and found everyone in my class was way, way ahead of me. They had been tought all these tenses and topics, and although I was great at speaking I could barely write. My best advice would be to learn off by heart the basic grammar (present, past and future tenses), as this is the backbone to all the writing. Ask your teacher for sheets, a textbook... and don't be afraid to ask if you can go in at lunch/afterschool. I struggled most with grammar, so got myself a AS workbook, which helped massively. (Below is an example). Just work really hard and you'll get there! Don't feel ashamed if you're finding it very tricky- I went in at lunch twice a week, worked reallly hard on my writing and got highest in the class last year! Good luck, anything else just ask

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-French-A...french+grammar
Thanks that's really helpful. I'll have to work really hard over half term and hope for the best. I'll take a look at that vocabulary book.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.66%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
10.34%
No - I live at home during term anyway (54)
26.6%

Watched Threads