The Student Room Group

What to have in a reference?

Well, my referee emailed me back (I'm an individual applicant), and asked the sticky request: "Just email me back with what kind of stuff to include."

I sent the UCAS reference information link, but it seemed pretty vague on what actually needs to be included. So basically, what kind of points need to be covered in a reference? Should I just send my refereree my PS, a bit of extra information, and have them write about my performance in class?

Anything at all about references would be much appreciated.

Reply 1
Well at my college all your subject teachers wrote a reference and then your tutor/referee would sort of combine them into one general reference about you. The rule was that they had to be positive but honest. They'd comment on stuff like attendace, punctuality, commitment to the course and how much effort you put in to it.
Reply 2
If you've done anything special, like getting awards or 100% in any modules make sure you tell them so they can include them too.
It's basically a statement about what kind of student you are, so things like how good you are at your subjects, your particular strengths, how hard you work, whether you stick to deadlines, how good your attendance and punctuality are and what you're like to teach. As the above poster said, it's good to get any particularly impressive UMS marks mentioned as well.
Thank you all!!!

I've got a pretty good idea now of what she needs to include :smile:
Reply 5
If you've done anything special, like getting awards or 100% in any modules make sure you tell them so they can include them too.

damn i should have done that!!
Reply 6
To get 100% in modules is good, so try and include that definitely. Also, try and mention why he thinks that the degree you want to study is ideal for you.
WokSz
Also, try and mention why he thinks that the degree you want to study is ideal for you.

Ah, thanks. That's a very good suggestion :smile:
Reply 8
yay I got 100% in 4 modules :biggrin: but then Cs in other ones lol!! AS levels are crazy...

Latest

Trending

Trending