The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

ECA Applicants 2015/16

Hey I figured I should start a thread for people applying to Edinburgh College of Art next year..
I realise this is a little premature and all, but I applied last year and was rejected so I want to do everything that I can to make sure I get in this time round.
SO, has anyone started personal statements or anything?

Scroll to see replies

I applied on the 10th for Fine Art MA!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I am currently at DJCAD first year for the general foundation so I was planning to apply for GSA and maybe ECA second year entry for painting. I was rejected last year by GSA after interview which I was gutted about.
Reply 3
Original post by Artfanatic
I applied on the 10th for Fine Art MA!

Ah very good, I think I'm applying for that too! Have you got much portfolio work done?

Original post by nnnn12
I am currently at DJCAD first year for the general foundation so I was planning to apply for GSA and maybe ECA second year entry for painting. I was rejected last year by GSA after interview which I was gutted about.

Oh man that sucks, at least you got an interview though! My mini-portfolio was rejected so I didn't get an interview, but then GSA wasn't my priority so I don't think I tried hard enough. :-/
Original post by elinorod
Ah very good, I think I'm applying for that too! Have you got much portfolio work done?

Oh man that sucks, at least you got an interview though! My mini-portfolio was rejected so I didn't get an interview, but then GSA wasn't my priority so I don't think I tried hard enough. :-/

Yes, but because I am applying for Oxford it needs to be sent at the start of November, so by the time I apply for Edinburgh it will have changed a bit I imagine!
Reply 5

Yea GSA was my first choice so I was pretty gutted. Currently loving DJCAD though so I might choose to stay on here. Is it first year you are applying for at Edinburgh?
Reply 6
Original post by nnnn12
Yea GSA was my first choice so I was pretty gutted. Currently loving DJCAD though so I might choose to stay on here. Is it first year you are applying for at Edinburgh?

Yeah I'm applying for first year.. I'm doing a portfolio course here in Ireland but I'm not sure if it counts as a foundation year enough for me to go straight to second year. Besides, I kinda like the idea of just trying everything out!
Reply 7
Yes, but because I am applying for Oxford it needs to be sent at the start of November, so by the time I apply for Edinburgh it will have changed a bit I imagine!

I am applying for Oxford and Edinburgh too:smile:
There is not much time left to send the portfolio and I feel I have nothing that is good enough :O
I'm applying for animation! I'm currently doing a portfolio course which is really fun.

Last year my portfolio was a complete disaster... This time I've planned much earlier and I'm managing my time much better.
Original post by oagata
I am applying for Oxford and Edinburgh too:smile:
There is not much time left to send the portfolio and I feel I have nothing that is good enough :O

I am literally the same haha! So stressful as with only 20 pieces its hard to decide what is best to show! Goodluck to you!

Out of interest have you done a foundation year and what subjects are you taking? :smile:
Reply 10
I am literally the same haha! So stressful as with only 20 pieces its hard to decide what is best to show! Goodluck to you!

Out of interest have you done a foundation year and what subjects are you taking? :smile:

For me 20 is even too much! I have only like two pieces that I am happy to show haha. Good luck to you too!

No, I did not do a foundation, so I guess it is stupid of me even to try applying. I already finished high school and now I have a gap year working and saving money for uni. I got in to Manchester School of Art this year, BA Fashion, but I decided it was not what I really wanted, that is why I am applying this year once again.
I am from Poland and the only subject we can take, that has anything to do with art is art history, so that's what I did. It wasn't even taught in my school so I prepared to it on my own. I really enjoyed it! What about you?:smile:
Reply 11
Yeah I'm applying for first year.. I'm doing a portfolio course here in Ireland but I'm not sure if it counts as a foundation year enough for me to go straight to second year. Besides, I kinda like the idea of just trying everything out!

I'm doing the exact same! Edinburgh college of art is the dream university for me! And i'm currently doing a 'Level 3 art and design foundation diploma,' but as it is level 3, it doesn't count as foundation..

I think I will be applying for fine art there, but I'm still not 100%. Last year I applied for architecture but i decided that i wasn't for me and withdrew from everywhere. So i'm currently doing this course to figure out what to do with my life :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by oagata
For me 20 is even too much! I have only like two pieces that I am happy to show haha. Good luck to you too!

No, I did not do a foundation, so I guess it is stupid of me even to try applying. I already finished high school and now I have a gap year working and saving money for uni. I got in to Manchester School of Art this year, BA Fashion, but I decided it was not what I really wanted, that is why I am applying this year once again.
I am from Poland and the only subject we can take, that has anything to do with art is art history, so that's what I did. It wasn't even taught in my school so I prepared to it on my own. I really enjoyed it! What about you?:smile:

Ooh I see! Well I actually got to go on the History of Art summer school at Oxford and they expressed a lot how they try to consider every applicant fairly. Perhaps the lack of support for Art in your country will work in your favor as you haven't met your true potential! Don't loose hope I am sure you have a very good chance!

I am literally sitting here every night wondering if I should put piece X or piece Y in! Have you sent your portfolio off? Do you have to physically send one from Poland?!
Reply 13
Ooh I see! Well I actually got to go on the History of Art summer school at Oxford and they expressed a lot how they try to consider every applicant fairly. Perhaps the lack of support for Art in your country will work in your favor as you haven't met your true potential! Don't loose hope I am sure you have a very good chance!

I am literally sitting here every night wondering if I should put piece X or piece Y in! Have you sent your portfolio off? Do you have to physically send one from Poland?!

Ahh, the History of Art summer school sounds amazing! Wish I had been there! Yeah, you're right, even if I do not get in it is too late now, so I will do my best.

I have not sent it off yet, have you? I am not sure if I am required to send it physically, but I think I will. I've got the impression that it will look better, and they will see that it is important to me.
Reply 14
Has everyone started their personal statements yet?
Anyone applying for Graphic Design at ECA? or is currently studying at ECA and has any tips?
How's everyone's personal statment going?
Anyone applying to a 1st general year at ECA?
personal statement non existent currently. help a brother out!!!

currently studying folio prep at tramway visual arts studio, applying to gsa sculpture & environmental art and eca intermedia and a few fine art courses... I'm a mature student ABCC and an HNC.
Reply 18
Original post by nnnn12
Has everyone started their personal statements yet?

Original post by Smartmind
How's everyone's personal statment going?
Anyone applying to a 1st general year at ECA?

Original post by hislopemma
personal statement non existent currently. help a brother out!!!

currently studying folio prep at tramway visual arts studio, applying to gsa sculpture & environmental art and eca intermedia and a few fine art courses... I'm a mature student ABCC and an HNC.

I've actually written my personal statement already and I gave it to the course director of my portfolio course to look over. It's definitely better than the one I did last year (much much much less contrived, haha) but still it's hard to know what makes a good statement..

In ECA I'm applying to 1st Year General art, Fine Art and Intermedia!
I was going to apply to intermediate but I've not heard great things about it so I might just apply to fine art.

Finished my PS n had it looked over too at least that's one thing out the way, if only my folio was as easy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending