Unis that DON'T look at personal statement Watch

rachel479
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Are there any unis that don't look at your personal statement?

I am asking because I want to apply to a 5th course that is completely different to my other 4 choices and so the personal statement is going to be completely irrelevant for that one...

Any advice?

Thanks
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I doubt very much that any uni would completely ignore your personal statement. Don't apply for a completely different subject. Admissions tutors aren't going to accept someone who's clearly not dedicated. There are universities that don't use your PS as a big part of the admissions process (like Oxford and Cambridge) but they'd still see that your PS is completely unrelated.
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rachel479)

I am asking because I want to apply to a 5th course that is completely different to my other 4 choices and so the personal statement is going to be completely irrelevant for that one...

Any advice?

Thanks
Why are you applying to a fifth completely different? Unless we're taking medicine, vet med, dentistry...

in which case: many departments happily take medical etc. applicants for other courses. Sometimes they will ask for a separate PS to be sent directly to them, and other times they're not too fussed. Best just checking with a dept you want to apply to (you can send your medical applications now, before the deadline, and add the fifth choice after if you're going to check with them and need to wait).
LouieSax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey!
If you email and explain your situation, some unis will allow you to send a separate personal statement to them. Therefore, you would be able to have a personal statement for both subjects Email admissions and find out
hullaballoon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It might be worth choosing a course at a uni you'd like to apply to as your fifth choice and then email them to ask if you could send a separate personal statement? I know some universities allow this, so it's worth a shot

Edit: as the poster said above!
rachel479
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the advice, yeah I am applying for medicine and my 5th choice would be something like english, classics or philosophy so I guess I will email a few unis. I completely forgot that non-medicine applications dont have to be sent off before 15th oct!
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for all the advice, yeah I am applying for medicine and my 5th choice would be something like english, classics or philosophy so I guess I will email a few unis. I completely forgot that non-medicine applications dont have to be sent off before 15th oct!
Honesty compels me to say you have absolutely no chance at all for English with a medicine ps. It's almost as competitive as medicine. The typical back up courses for medics are very well aware of the situation and are fine with a medicine ps, but that's for subjects like biochemistry and related areas. I don't know what A levels you are taking, but you must have an atypical range for a medic if you are qualified to apply for all those courses as well as medicine. I'd suggest looking at a degree within the sciences, which will pose no problems with your ps.
rachel479
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
Honesty compels me to say you have absolutely no chance at all for English with a medicine ps. It's almost as competitive as medicine. The typical back up courses for medics are very well aware of the situation and are fine with a medicine ps, but that's for subjects like biochemistry and related areas. I don't know what A levels you are taking, but you must have an atypical range for a medic if you are qualified to apply for all those courses as well as medicine. I'd suggest looking at a degree within the sciences, which will pose no problems with your ps.
im doing ib (6 subjects), for me i dont think i would enjoy studying neuroscience or biochemistry etc for 3 years, i would rather study another of my subjects that i know i would enjoy... so you think there would be no point even if i emailed the uni and sent them a different personal statement?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im doing ib (6 subjects), for me i dont think i would enjoy studying neuroscience or biochemistry etc for 3 years, i would rather study another of my subjects that i know i would enjoy... so you think there would be no point even if i emailed the uni and sent them a different personal statement?
If they are willing to accept a second statement, then they have indicated that they would be willing to consider someone not 100% committed to the course, so you should be in with a shout, I guess. For English, they have more than enough applicants not to need to be kind to anyone and I would be very surprised if they were prepared to accept a second statement, but if they do, please come back and update me. Classics is nothing like as competitive, nor philosophy, but even they will wonder at the complete volte face. However, you never know. All you can do is ask them. You can't email them a second ps on spec. They have to agree to let you do it.
rachel479
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
If they are willing to accept a second statement, then they have indicated that they would be willing to consider someone not 100% committed to the course, so you should be in with a shout, I guess. For English, they have more than enough applicants not to need to be kind to anyone and I would be very surprised if they were prepared to accept a second statement, but if they do, please come back and update me. Classics is nothing like as competitive, nor philosophy, but even they will wonder at the complete volte face. However, you never know. All you can do is ask them. You can't email them a second ps on spec. They have to agree to let you do it.
Thanks very much for your advice. English would probably be out of the question then, but I will email a few universities to see if any would be ok with seeing a second personal statement for classics/philosophy.
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Any advice?

Thanks
Well, when I applied for dentistry last year, Bristol neuroscience was my 5th option. They gave me an offer with a dentistry personal statement :P
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How about something a little more unusual (but still a health science subject) such as Audiology?
marethyu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone have any experience of applying and getting an offer for maths with a medicine personal statement,a level subjects maths,triple science 4a's at as and 9A*s at GCSE. Any advice/help would be appreciated. I wouldn't want to study biomed and then med. Thanks very much in advance
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marethyu)
Anyone have any experience of applying and getting an offer for maths with a medicine personal statement,a level subjects maths,triple science 4a's at as and 9A*s at GCSE. Any advice/help would be appreciated. I would want to study biomed and then med. Thanks very much in advance
You are applying for medicine with a medicine statement, with maths as a backup. How does that tie in with wanting to study biomed and then medicine? Which is it?
audi_turbo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My friend applied for medicine and his fifth choice was philosophy. He got offers for both.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The philosophers would probably like it tbh
rachel479
Rep:
?
(Original post by audi_turbo)
My friend applied for medicine and his fifth choice was philosophy. He got offers for both.
Do you know what university it was, and whether he had to send them a different personal statement?
Thanks!
audi_turbo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you know what university it was, and whether he had to send them a different personal statement?
Thanks!
It was Warwick and he only sent one personal statement. He says that he integrated philosophy into his PS, if that makes sense.
SlowlorisIncognito
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marethyu)
Anyone have any experience of applying and getting an offer for maths with a medicine personal statement,a level subjects maths,triple science 4a's at as and 9A*s at GCSE. Any advice/help would be appreciated. I wouldn't want to study biomed and then med. Thanks very much in advance
In general, maths admissions tutors just want people with aptitude, they tend not to be so interested in your personal statement. Your application would probably be weakened by not offering an A-level in further maths, and for the best universities you would usually have to sit a STEP exam as well.

Your grades are very strong, so I am sure you will find some universities who would consider you.
marethyu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
In general, maths admissions tutors just want people with aptitude, they tend not to be so interested in your personal statement. Your application would probably be weakened by not offering an A-level in further maths, and for the best universities you would usually have to sit a STEP exam as well.

Your grades are very strong, so I am sure you will find some universities who would consider you.
Thanks very much for that useful reply. Are there any Unis you know of that focus solely on grades rather than PS? Or which allow you to send a supplementary statement for maths? Thanks very much again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads