Quitting a full-time job for university

Watch
andrewfx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So after leaving college I got accepted into all five of my applied universities but a last minute change of heart opted for me to go for an apprenticeship instead of Uni (in a completely different field.) A year and a bit down the line I'm out of my apprenticeship and now fully employed by the company making a decent wage, but it's just not a job I want to do, and not the job I thought it would be.

My question is, if I applied to go to university what sort of funding would I get? Would it go off just my parents income or mine too? I know they ask for the household income from the previous year (which would include mine I assume?) however, if I went to university I would be quitting my job and hence the household income would be pretty much half of what it is now. If it is the case that my income would be considered, I would receive no grants which would mean I would struggle as my parents aren't able to support me a lot, but if it doesn't count then I would receive a bit of a grant which would go a long way!

It's all very confusing and I've looked online but the only answers I find are about mature students going to university so it's a completely different situation (I'm only 19, would be 20 in September when enrolling.)

Thanks for you advice.
Da Di Doo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think they only look at your income after your a certain age - I think it might be 24/25.
Eboracum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in your situation. I started uni aged 23 after working full time for three and a half years. The rules are, it will be judged on your income only if a) you've supported yourself for three years or more (I.e. worked) or b) you are 25 or over. If you qualify for that it's fantastic as your income would be 0 when starting university (mine was) or a small amount if you're working part time. With that in mind they give you loads, I got over 7k grant and loan in first year, then in second year I got 8k+ and 2x return flights, visa, healthcare (I was on Study Abroad), in final year I got 6.8k and my university started giving me money as well. Just today I got £700 reimbursement for flights home from Study Abroad which takes care of the PS4, new tv and Fifa 15 purchase at Christmas. Enjoy it all and best of luck, any questions pm here or quote me.
tim_123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by andrewfx)
So after leaving college I got accepted into all five of my applied universities but a last minute change of heart opted for me to go for an apprenticeship instead of Uni (in a completely different field.) A year and a bit down the line I'm out of my apprenticeship and now fully employed by the company making a decent wage, but it's just not a job I want to do, and not the job I thought it would be.

My question is, if I applied to go to university what sort of funding would I get? Would it go off just my parents income or mine too? I know they ask for the household income from the previous year (which would include mine I assume?) however, if I went to university I would be quitting my job and hence the household income would be pretty much half of what it is now. If it is the case that my income would be considered, I would receive no grants which would mean I would struggle as my parents aren't able to support me a lot, but if it doesn't count then I would receive a bit of a grant which would go a long way!

It's all very confusing and I've looked online but the only answers I find are about mature students going to university so it's a completely different situation (I'm only 19, would be 20 in September when enrolling.)

Thanks for you advice.
You have to prove you have been self sufficient for at least 3?? Years, might be more. You'd need to call student finance (good luck with getting an actual answer), but yeh unfortunately I don't think you're income will be taken into account. Try and save up if you can!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads