ESL (A)
Eng Lang (B)
Eng Lit (B)
Resistant Materials (A)
History (A*)

Current Subjects:
HL - Chi B, Physics, Chem, Econ*
SL - Maths, Eng Lit A

*everyone got moved to HL in my school since the syllabus and the exam is so similar

1) How much does Maths SL affect my chances of getting into engineering/computer science/physics related course in a decent university (Canada/HK), even if I took Physics and Chem HL?

2) Should I drop one of my HL subjects, so I can spend more time on other subjects? Or should I keep the Chem/Physics to compensate for the Maths SL? (Don't think I can cope with Maths HL)

Any help is appreciated =)
rukki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think perhaps dropping one of the highers would be helpful because it will get very stressful later on in the game and having to spread your effort and brains over more subjects. That way you can really focus on getting the highest grades you can for the subjects you need for engineering. And If you ave an idea of the unis you want you can email them the admissions teams are pretty helpful in letting you know how subjects affect your application. But I'd think that having a HL you don't need for an SL would be extra stress for you- you can ace Standard ? But email the unis
mira_seshan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It all depends on the university you want to go to. Make it a point to go to the university websites and look at the requirements. This will definitely help you gage what subjects you should do in order to get into the course you want to enrol in.

I think you should drop one of your highers, as it will get too much. I have a friend who is doing four higher level subjects, and after 2 months she really could not manage, and had to drop one. It is better to do so earlier than later because every grade is important and could affect your predicted grade. I think dropping Chi B is the best option as the other subjects are more suited for the profession you would like to pursue and are more widely accepted or even required for many courses in most universities.

Good Luck!
jh0810
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for the reply rikku and Mira. I will probably drop the Chinese to SL. Also do you think it is worth taking a-level maths outside school for a senior level maths (cause I am planning to do engineering in uni).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (106)
17.76%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.3%
Not great so far... (212)
35.51%
I want to drop out! (116)
19.43%

Watched Threads