The Student Room Group

Farage-UK should reject immigrants who have serious illness such as HIV or TB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joker12345
Not at all. If anything, a doctor with HIV will be more aware of possible risks and be able to take every precaution to prevent transmission (which, even if they had an open wound and bled into a patient is pretty low, btw, if they're on antiretrovirals). HIV isn't like ebola and isn't going to suddenly infect thousands. We should be supporting people with illnesses, not discrimination against them. FYI having HIV will not affect your ability to go to medical school.

Let me see, two doctors:

-one has HIV
-one doesn't

Which one could infect more people with HIV? Gee I wonder.... :rolleyes:
Original post by Arkasia
We should be able to prevent anyone from coming in, especially those who will rely heavily on our infrastructure and health system out of necessity. When there are able-bodied doctors from India or engineers from China, why should we give priority to a HIV riddled individual with no qualifications and no finances, simply because they are European?

You seem to be muddling two separate issues, that of their health and that of their qualifications and finances. What about doctors from India with HIV or engineers from China with TB?
Original post by Chlorophile
A truly faultless analogy.

No its not- you want people like me to pay even more taxes to fund the UNIVERSAL health service. I asked you to put your money where your mouth is- and you bottled it.

Hypocrite
Original post by billydisco
Let me see, two doctors:

-one has HIV
-one doesn't

Which one could infect more people with HIV? Gee I wonder.... :rolleyes:

Chances are, neither will.
You seem to be muddling two separate issues, that of their health and that of their qualifications and finances. What about doctors from India with HIV or engineers from China with TB?

i am sure there are many more doctors who do not have hiv so your statement is preposterous

You seem to be middling a useful person with a not-useful one.

Lets just import engineers and doctors without dangerous diseases...... :rolleyes:
Chances are, neither will.

Really? The last time I checked the probably of somebody without HIV giving HIV to somebody was........ 0% !
Original post by UtopiaofEurope
i am sure there are many more doctors who do not have hiv so your statement is preposterous

What makes you think that having HIV means you have no qualifications? Yes, maybe there are, but do they all want to come to the UK? and what about all the other people we let in, those with no qualifications who go on benefits etc? If we can fund them, why not a qualified person who will work, help our economy, pay taxes, and yes, acces healthcare (which they have funded through their taxes)?
You seem to be middling a useful person with a not-useful one.

Lets just import engineers and doctors without dangerous diseases...... :rolleyes:

Having an illness does not make you not-useful. With that attitude, I sincerely hope you never become ill in your lifetime, god forbid you become useless.

Not at all, I am merely extending the idea that we should be allowed to decide who we let in to our country with ultimate freedom, and that means freedom from EU rulings on free travel between European nations. If they have HIV or TB, then they cannot come in. Like in America, you can be an amazing person and incredibly well trained, but if you have a criminal record, you are not getting in.
No its not- you want people like me to pay even more taxes to fund the UNIVERSAL health service. I asked you to put your money where your mouth is- and you bottled it.

Hypocrite

What?

In the UK, we're incredibly fortunate that we have an excellent health service. Other people aren't that fortunate. Are you seriously telling me that if someone wants to come to the UK, it's unreasonable that they should expect to have life-saving treatment? What next - should we ban everyone who wasn't born in the UK to make 999 calls? If an immigrant has a heart attack in the UK, surely we should just let them die? Why should we pay for their healthcare? They weren't born in the UK, so we should we care about them? Seriously, what's your obsession with countries? Why do you care so much about arbitrary borders?

We're not going to be a universal health service. This might shock you, but not that many people actually want to come to the UK. Places like Germany and the US are much more popular. Immigration brings huge benefits to society even if it doesn't maintain the pure British race you sound like you want to preserve. And since we're all human beings, I don't understand how you could possibly refuse to grant another human being a life saving service if they need it. Stop being so bigoted and heartless, and put yourself in their shoes for one second.

Finally, you're not doing yourself a huge service by inadvertently admitting that your analogy was rubbish. If someone tells you that your analogy was faultless, most people wouldn't vehemently disagree.
Really? The last time I checked the probably of somebody without HIV giving HIV to somebody was........ 0% !

Reread my statement. The chances are that a doctor with HIV will not pass it on their patients, and obviously neither will one without it.
Original post by Arkasia
Not at all, I am merely extending the idea that we should be allowed to decide who we let in to our country with ultimate freedom, and that means freedom from EU rulings on free travel between European nations. If they have HIV or TB, then they cannot come in. Like in America, you can be an amazing person and incredibly well trained, but if you have a criminal record, you are not getting in.

I'm not disagreeing with us having a right to decide, simply saying that to reject people on this basis is ridiculous. Rejecting them because they will not contribute to our economy makes sense, but if the whole reason for rejecting people with diseases is that it will cost us NHS money, we should rather only let people in who'll pay taxes, hence funding their own healthcare.
Reply 33
Most immigrants are going to be low-skilled.
They will therefore pay (if any!) approximately £800 a year in tax
How much would HIV treatment cost the NHS?
What if they infect somebody?

Do you have any statistics for these facts?
How many HIV positive immigrants actually come to the UK? It does cost 18k a year but it is unlikely they would infect any one with HIV. It is a crime to do so deliberately.
It's completely unethical a inhumane. HIV is not a public hazard or highly contagious, as well just because a person has HIV does not mean she comes to UK to get treatment, he might be under treatment in his own country...you see, UK has a good health system but it's not the best in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a dumb and narrow minded opinion. Look at the people working in NHS. What percentage of the doctors and the nurses are foreigners, are they low skilled?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Don't forget alcoholics, smokers, fatties, people who eat a poor diet, people who don't exercise etc.
We do not owe the world anything.

I personally don't think I could bring myself to vote UKIP but they have better ideas than anyone else.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
They should stop smokers coming in.

No, let them in. Smoking is a huge gain for the economy.

If anything I would rather smokers come in than non smokers (although preferably they would be young smokers who can smoke for many more years)
Most immigrants are going to be low-skilled.
They will therefore pay (if any!) approximately £800 a year in tax
How much would HIV treatment cost the NHS?
What if they infect somebody?

Then perhaps we should accept only skilled immigrants into the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending