The Student Room Group

Torn between 2 jobs... Best course of action?

So I've recently had 2 interviews. Both very promising and both for jobs I do want.

Job A are letting me know next week

Job B is letting me know today.

In an ideal world I'd prefer job A, it's more varied and in a better location, closer to my friends and where I want to live. Job B would mean commuting an hour from home or renting somewhere in an unknown town. However it's still a very good job and if anything one I'm more experienced for.

If job B rings and offers me the job, I don't know what to do. I don't want to accept then have to turn it down if job A is successful. But I also don't want to end up with nothing if I decline...

Obviously this is all hypothetical. I probably won't get either!
Reply 1
Can't B give you some time to consider or do you have to come to a decision today?
I don't see anything wrong with accepting job B and turning them down later on if job A gives you the offer.

That's the best choice for you. Just don't sign anything and string them along for a week while you hear back from job A.

The world of work is cut throat and so should you.
Original post by Ndella
Can't B give you some time to consider or do you have to come to a decision today?

They probably could but I'd feel bad stretching that to longer than a weekend as it means they won't be able to notify the other candidates yet either.
Listen get a grip there's no need to feel bad for making the best choice for you.
Could you tell Job A that you are hearing from another work place soon and is there any chance they could let you know any earlier? I've asked that before :yep:
Reply 6
If you do get the offer. Tell Job A you have an offer but they are your first choice so is it possible to move the date earlier.

I was in a similar situation but it all worked out for me. The job I didn't want rejected me. And the job I wanted accepted me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Could you tell Job A that you are hearing from another work place soon and is there any chance they could let you know any earlier? I've asked that before :yep:

I'm guessing they haven't made the decision yet though. It's also getting a bit late in the day, they're only in the office till 5...wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a weekend tomorrow.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I'm guessing they haven't made the decision yet though. It's also getting a bit late in the day, they're only in the office till 5...wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a weekend tomorrow.

Ah that's true - forgot it was a weekend :s-smilie:

Good luck anyway! Hopefully it'll all work out :smile:
I would be honest and just explain to job B that you are waiting to hear back from another interview and ask if they would be prepared to wait for your answer... but decide in advance whether you will take the job if they say no (and as someone else says, you can just call them back in a week and drop out) - if they want to hire you they will probably be fine with waiting a week
So... Job B gave me the job and I've accepted. I won't receive a formal offer until next week so I technically haven't entered any contract with them yet. If job A does get back to me I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Not sure whether to celebrate or cry at the moment! I'm just terrified of making the wrong decision and ****ing my life up!
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
So... Job B gave me the job and I've accepted. I won't receive a formal offer until next week so I technically haven't entered any contract with them yet. If job A does get back to me I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Not sure whether to celebrate or cry at the moment! I'm just terrified of making the wrong decision and ****ing my life up!

I think I'm write in saying that as long as you haven't signed anything, you're fine to change your mind if Job A give an affirmative response :smile:
Original post by doodle_333
I would be honest and just explain to job B that you are waiting to hear back from another interview and ask if they would be prepared to wait for your answer... but decide in advance whether you will take the job if they say no (and as someone else says, you can just call them back in a week and drop out) - if they want to hire you they will probably be fine with waiting a week

If ever a candidate tells me such a reply the first thing I will do is tell him/her where the door is.

Essentially you are telling me that my company isn't where you really want to be and I shouldn't have you working for me if it isn't where you want to be.
Reply 13
Original post by Alfissti
If ever a candidate tells me such a reply the first thing I will do is tell him/her where the door is.

Essentially you are telling me that my company isn't where you really want to be and I shouldn't have you working for me if it isn't where you want to be.

Agree with you. I know for a fact I lost a job because I told the interviewer that I'm waiting for another reply. He told me I was excellent at the interview and they made a split second decision. Which would of probably fallen my way if I didn't say what I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending