The Student Room Group

Work experience for zoology & 3 year A levels

Currently at Cardiff uni but have withdrawn from my current language degree as not enjoying it and am going to re do some A level modules to get my grades to AAA/AAB and apply for zoology. As I'll technically be doing my A levels over 3 years, I understand this will hinder my chances so was wondering if anyone could offer any insight as to what they would want with regards to work experience?
Original post by SophSoff
Currently at Cardiff uni but have withdrawn from my current language degree as not enjoying it and am going to re do some A level modules to get my grades to AAA/AAB and apply for zoology. As I'll technically be doing my A levels over 3 years, I understand this will hinder my chances so was wondering if anyone could offer any insight as to what they would want with regards to work experience?

Hey, are you looking to stay at Cardiff uni and study Zoology by swapping courses?

There's actually a much safer way of going about doing Zoology than re-doing your a-levels! Have you looked into a Foundation Year?

Manchester, Nottingham, Liverpool all do them and basically it's one year with that uni studying an intense program of maths/biology/chemistry and then after that year you're free to pick any science degree available. There are exams involved in the foundation year but it's highly unlikely you won't pass them; the course is designed to help those without the right A-levels to get up to speed with all the knowledge needed for a degree in science.

In regards to work experience, you're more likely to gain this during your actual degree and especially if you do a placement year.

Hope that helps in some way... :smile:

You need to be able to bring 100 different types of animal to a screaming orgasm
Reply 3
Hey!

Thanks so much for the reply :smile: I did look into doing a preliminary year but on the Cardiff website it says 'The Preliminary Year is not normally a route for students who have failed to achieve the required grades in their A-levels' and I think the other universities are the same :frown: As well as this, Cardiff were full up for this year and pretty sure all Universities will be by now!

Regarding staying at Cardiff, that is the plan however I have really confused things a bit... I have deferred from my current language course yet I don't plan to go back and do languages, hopefully Zoology instead... Now I don't know whether I should make a whole new UCAS application when I just want to stay at Cardiff university. However, I have to be realistic so I probably will have to make a new UCAS and apply for other universities... On top of this, I don't know whether to pick up A level Chemistry. I know it will help my application and considering I'll be doing A levels over 3 years I'm going to need all the help I can get, but I really struggled when I tried to do AS Chemistry and because of this, I never finished the course as it was such a nightmare and now don't have an AS Level, only 3 A levels. Also, if I did the preliminary year at Cardiff I don't need Chemistry, and many other universities accept Geography (which I do have) as a science, yet many state Chemistry/ Maths is preferred. But again, my 3 year A levels and no AS level will hinder my application so I think I'm going to need to!

Zoology courses don't normally require any specific work experience. It's an academic degree, not a vocational one, and universities understand work experience is hard to find. If you have something animal related lined up, then go for it. Otherwise, go for something you think might be beneficial career wise later on. Do bear in mind most universities will disregard anything you've paid to do.

To build a good personal statement, reading is important, as well as showing you have a good understanding of what the course involves, so do your research.
Reply 5
Original post by King Max
You need to be able to bring 100 different types of animal to a screaming orgasm

Is that full time or part time work? I can only do part time I'm afraid with the whole A level malarkey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending