HELP! Triple Science Choice (core,add, further or bio, chem, phys) Watch

joshualh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I am currently in year 10 at my school and have just started to study triple science. We are now being offered a choice as whether to study AQA GCSE Core, Additional, Further Sciences or AQA GCSE Bilogy, Physics, Chemistry. Apparently the content is identical of what you need to know but the way you do the exams is slightly different. Which way do you think is better? I am an all rounder at all 3 of the science and get mostly A*'s and the occasional A in all 3 of them but i would say Chemistry and Biology where my strongest.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
ayeshasaleem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well it depends, my teacher told me that separate sciences Bio, Chem and Physics are looked favourably upon, and she wasn't sure if the Russel Group/ top universities accept it. Also if you're weaker in one science it can bring your overall grade down in Core and Additional, but in separate sciences it doesn't so that's another difference.
Jelly150
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Core, Additional and Further Additional and came out with an A in Core and A*'s in the other two.

I would actually recommend the Core, Additional and Further Additional option because it is a lot easier to get higher marks. In our school, those who chose to do Bio, Chem, and Physics overall got lower grades than those who chose the other option.

Hope I helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tryrevise
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think core/add/further might be easier to get 3A*s in if you have one science you're likely to get an A in and A*s in the other two, but bio/chem/phys combo is generally more respected as unis are more familiar with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
joshualh
Rep:
?
(Original post by ayeshasaleem)
Well it depends, my teacher told me that separate sciences Bio, Chem and Physics are looked favourably upon, and she wasn't sure if the Russel Group/ top universities accept it. Also if you're weaker in one science it can bring your overall grade down in Core and Additional, but in separate sciences it doesn't so that's another difference.
So are you saying that if i take seperate sciences it will be favourable at the top Uni's? I'm an all rounder at all 3 of the science so i'm trying to work out which route is better as im constantly getting A*'s in my mocks with the occasional A.
joshualh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jelly150)
I did Core, Additional and Further Additional and came out with an A in Core and A*'s in the other two.

I would actually recommend the Core, Additional and Further Additional option because it is a lot easier to get higher marks. In our school, those who chose to do Bio, Chem, and Physics overall got lower grades than those who chose the other option.

Hope I helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your advice! I'm an all rounder at all 3 of the sciences so i'll have to consult my teacher to see what she thinks.
joshualh
Rep:
?
(Original post by tryrevise)
I think core/add/further might be easier to get 3A*s in if you have one science you're likely to get an A in and A*s in the other two, but bio/chem/phys combo is generally more respected as unis are more familiar with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the info and advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (222)
67.68%
No (106)
32.32%

Watched Threads