My chances of getting into Oxford! Watch

hamzakhan312
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys,
I will try to keep it simple. Modern South Asian studies; places available 8 with 14 applicants applying each year. Requirement according to Oxford Uni is predicted first or Upper Second (ie top third). Now let's move on to where do I stand. I am in my final year with an average of 66 in IR; enormous chances of pulling it to first, but will they ( academics in Oxford) select me. I have nice personal statement and I am also trying to convince my adviser to predict me First, which will be difficult but not impossible. share your thoughts and please be bold and strict.
I will only be applying to Oxford for Masters.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would apply elsewhere as well. Applying to Oxford only, even for a postgrad course, is a risky strategy, especially since your current average is under their standard benchmark of 67 minimum.

Almost everyone applying will be predicted a good First.
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's true that you can get in meeting only the minimum requirement, but you'll need to do well in the interview, with your work sample, with your references, with your statement, and with anything else that'll be taken into account. If you're confident that you'll be getting a first, you should state that your expected result is a first. They likely won't really consider your actual current result unless it's a big difference, but the condition will be to have a first.

Regarding academic requirements specifically: Being 'just' a master's doesn't mean that everybody going into it is going to have weak(er) qualifications. In my taught master's course at Oxford, at least 5% of my coursemates has already got a PhD, and at least 24% of them with a master's degree already (even one from Cambridge). One of them, as far as I know, has been teaching at Oxford; and one of the course's lecturers also told me that in the past there was a professor enrolling into the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
11.11%
Disagree (3)
8.33%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.78%
Agree (11)
30.56%
Strongly Agree (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads