The Student Room Group

Male only bursaries.

One of my friends is interested in endowing a university to provide bursaries to students but he wants to only fund bursaries for male students. I agree with his idea and definitely think more bursaries for male students are a fantastic proposition. Is it possible to agree to fund a university but on the principle that the funding will only go towards male bursaries?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
I would like to fund you to stop making stupid threads.
Reply 3
I'd fund you to delete you SR account, and if your friend has one, for him to do the same.

Before I get flamed, that was a joke ^^.

I'm all seriousness, I think it's a terrible idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by scotttb
I would like to fund you to stop making stupid threads.

The thread asks an important question but if you would like to give me money, I am game. What is your Pay Pal?
Reply 5
Original post by Wesleigh
I'd fund you to delete you SR account, and if your friend has one, for him to do the same.

Before I get flamed, that was a joke ^^.

I'm all seriousness, I think it's a terrible idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok what is your Pay Pal?

Why is it a terrible idea. Surely if someone is investing in education, they should be able to decide what it gets spent on? There are more males falling out of education and it would be good to help some (not chavvy scum) get back in. Women already have many developments to support them, it would be good to have such a mechanism for males.
Why only males?
Original post by blackened_sky
Why only males?

I am pretty sure, women already have one. I think that's his point. If a guy has it, it's bad. When a gal has it, it's good. I hope it's his point anyway lol.
Reply 8
Why only males?

More and more young males are falling out of education. This might give some of the most promising a real chance.
Reply 9
I agree with OP

Not sure if the uni would allow it though.
Reply 10
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
I am pretty sure, women already have one. I think that's his point. If a guy has it, it's bad. When a gal has it, it's good. I hope it's his point anyway lol.

It is. Many young males are falling out of education and deserve the same chance their female counterparts receive in regard to busaries.
Reply 11
Original post by TheBBQ
I agree with OP

Not sure if the uni would allow it though.

I doubt many universities would turn down money that only has that one condition. A contract would be signed so that if the money was used for any other purpose, it would be terminated and the university would have to pay the investor the full original amount back.

Do they? I've never really looked into bursaries much, only heard about ones like "children of greengrocers" and that. If there are female-only ones then fair enough.

Original post by beriaforfun
More and more young males are falling out of education. This might give some of the most promising a real chance.

Falling out of education for what reasons though? And what statistics do you have to back this up? Surely these are things you need in order to fund a bursary
One of my friends is interested in endowing a university to provide bursaries to students but he wants to only fund bursaries for male students. I agree with his idea and definitely think more bursaries for male students are a fantastic proposition. Is it possible to agree to fund a university but on the principle that the funding will only go towards male bursaries?

I think it would be possible in theory. It would depend if the university wanted to accept that offer though.
Do they? I've never really looked into bursaries much, only heard about ones like "children of greengrocers" and that. If there are female-only ones then fair enough.

Falling out of education for what reasons though? And what statistics do you have to back this up? Surely these are things you need in order to fund a bursary

I am pretty sure it's more to do with STEM subjects, rather than the others ones. I think it's some kind of initiative to get more women into it.
I think it'd depend what they were for. If it was for men to encourage them to study degrees leading to female-dominated careers such as nursing or early years teaching, which suffer from a lack of men working in them, then it sounds like a lovely idea to show we can move past traditional gender roles :h:
I am pretty sure it's more to do with STEM subjects, rather than the others ones. I think it's some kind of initiative to get more women into it.

That makes sense cause they're largely male based, even at A Level, gender specific bursaries are fine when there's a genuinely good need/reason for them.
OP didn't really give much info other than "Only for males"
Reply 17

Discouragement, stresses. I would imagine, more encouragement needs to be given to young males and bursaries may be the solution.

Here is one link as an example
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/feb/21/edu-women-overtake-men-in-earning-degrees-at-all/
That makes sense cause they're largely male based, even at A Level, gender specific bursaries are fine when there's a genuinely good need/reason for them.
OP didn't really give much info other than "Only for males"

I still don't agree it with it completely. Just because they are low in number, doesn't mean they get special treatment.

If it was to do with socio-economic reasons such as having a low income home, then I understand. This is usually the case of ethnic minorities, in my area anyway.

But the fact is, both men and women can get pretty much exactly the same chance and just because men dominate, they don't deserve to be played off, especially when they could be much better than a woman at that position. Imagine that they couldn't go to uni because they never got that extra loan and their dreams/future ends right there. You got to be in that position and understand how unfair it is.

There are a range of trusts established by individuals, charities and other organisations, providing financial support to a range of priority groups such as women, people with disabilities, immigrants, sons or daughters of certain professions, and so on.

So yes it's possible.

Quick Reply

Latest