Votes for Brits in EU on EU in/out referendum

Watch
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
About a million Brits live and work in the rest of the EU. Should they get a vote in a in/out EU referendum?
Sollom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think Britain should leave the EU. It's a burden on our economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course they should, just as those from the EU in Britain should too. Anyone who is affected should have the opportunity to vote.
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CJKay)
Of course they should, just as those from the EU in Britain should too. Anyone who is affected should have the opportunity to vote.
So... everyone who lives in an EU country, or in a country that has trade links with Britain or the EU, should participate in the vote?
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think that everyone with British citizenship everywhere in the world should have a vote, and no one else.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
no just people who live in Britain
Wissenschaft
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it is irresponsible to give everyone an equal vote. How about a meritocracy, where the weight of your vote is equal to your intellect? That way we wouldn't have populist parties like UKIP, at least not in parliament.
CJKay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom)
So... everyone who lives in an EU country, or in a country that has trade links with Britain or the EU, should participate in the vote?
No, anybody who is directly affected. i.e. Anybody with UK nationality, or anybody currently residing in the UK.
Though I do believe we should be taking into account the opinions of people with strong trade links to Britain, but it seems UKIP has already convinced its voters imports and exports don't exist.
Sollom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think only people having The British Citizenship living in the UK should vote. No one else should be given the right to vote. This is what is fair and sensible.
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CJKay)
No, anybody who is directly affected. i.e. Anybody with UK nationality, or anybody currently residing in the UK.
Everyone residing in the EU would be affected, surely?

I think it is unusual if not perverse to give foreigner temporary residents a vote on the constitution, especially when they cannot even vote for Parliament.
Sollom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Observatory)

I think it is unusual if not perverse to give foreigner temporary residents a vote on the constitution, especially when they cannot even vote for Parliament.
Agree!

Posted from TSR Mobile
CJKay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Observatory)

Everybody in the world would likely be affected, but not directly. Please make use of your dictionary.
Since when are all immigrants to Britain only temporary residents?
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CJKay)
Everybody in the world would likely be affected, but not directly. Please make use of your dictionary.
The EU would be directly affected by a bit of itself falling off.

They're not; some are citizens and would be able to vote on constitutional questions.
Ace123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
UK citizens in the EU should be allowed to vote, the big question is whether EU immigrants in the UK should vote because that would basically fix the vote with a few million votes to stay automatically, EU immigrants should not be allowed to vote
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Wissenschaft)
I think it is irresponsible to give everyone an equal vote. How about a meritocracy, where the weight of your vote is equal to your intellect? That way we wouldn't have populist parties like UKIP, at least not in parliament.
How would that be measured? Everyone knows IQ tests are a pile of ****.
UtopiaofEurope
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
About a million Brits live and work in the rest of the EU. Should they get a vote in a in/out EU referendum?
No they are not currently residing in the UK and should not be allowed a say in an EU referendum.

Just as Scots living in England were denied a vote in. The referendum on Scottish independence
UtopiaofEurope
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CJKay)
I think the OP means those immigrants without British citizenship
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes they should.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anybody with British citizenship should.

(Original post by Ace123)
UK citizens in the EU should be allowed to vote, the big question is whether EU immigrants in the UK should vote because that would basically fix the vote with a few million votes to stay automatically, EU immigrants should not be allowed to vote
What of those EU immigrants who apply for full citizenship.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by UtopiaofEurope)
No they are not currently residing in the UK and should not be allowed a say in an EU referendum.

Just as Scots living in England were denied a vote in. The referendum on Scottish independence
why, does injustice in the Scottish vote justify one in the EU vote?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads