The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Some questions for UoL students and applicants :)

Hello everyone :smile:
I'm a prospective undergraduate student. I'm very much interested in computer science. As I'm a Non-EU student I couldn't visit open days unfortunately.
I'm really considering UoL as my destination for UG study, but I'd request everyone of you to answer a few questions-
1) What is the accommodation like at Liverpool? Is it possible for me remain in halls for the full duration of my study if I want ?
2) What's the city like? I've heard it's quite rough, is it true?
3) What are the facilities available for computer science students?
4) What about SU and Library?
5) Transport facilities in Liverpool?
6) Nigh-outs and shopping?
7).. and atlast Reputation of Liverpool among CS employers?

any inputs are appreciated :rolleyes:
Thank you in advance :smile:
:bump::bump:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
1 There is a wide range I'll say you get what you pay for but I would go on campus if you can. Only one hall I think Dover Court is open to non first year undergrads so pretty much no you'll have to live elsewhere in your other years.

2 Like everywhere there are rough patches but I consider it a safe city your main problem in student area is burglaries as people leave their possessions in full view and other security errors. There are far rougher cities out there.

3 Ask a Comp Sci student. :P

4 SU is just after a multi million refurb and is one of the biggest in Europe lots of societies and events. Libraries are new as well there are lots of new facilities too. So you won't be disappointed there.

5 The bus will take you most places in Liverpool and plenty of reasonable taxis after hours. If you live off campus the arriva 699 covers carnatic and the main student area on Smithdown road.

6 Liverpool One is one of the biggest open air shopping areas in Europe and a great night life

7 Ask a Comp Sci again :P

Hope that's some help. :smile:
Original post by bluepennant
1 There is a wide range I'll say you get what you pay for but I would go on campus if you can. Only one hall I think Dover Court is open to non first year undergrads so pretty much no you'll have to live elsewhere in your other years.

2 Like everywhere there are rough patches but I consider it a safe city your main problem in student area is burglaries as people leave their possessions in full view and other security errors. There are far rougher cities out there.

3 Ask a Comp Sci student. :P

4 SU is just after a multi million refurb and is one of the biggest in Europe lots of societies and events. Libraries are new as well there are lots of new facilities too. So you won't be disappointed there.

5 The bus will take you most places in Liverpool and plenty of reasonable taxis after hours. If you live off campus the arriva 699 covers carnatic and the main student area on Smithdown road.

6 Liverpool One is one of the biggest open air shopping areas in Europe and a great night life

7 Ask a Comp Sci again :P

Hope that's some help. :smile:

Thanks a ton. I got an offer yesterday to study CompSci. I so badly want to attend Liverpool :biggrin: but I've a few questions.
*Can I find single rooms in Liverpool after I complete my 1st year or do I have to share? I don't prefer sharing my room with others:confused::redface:
There's currently a surplus of student accommodation in Liverpool so it's a buyer's market right now. You don't have to share a room :P that would just be awful. You may share a flat or a house but you will always get your own room. Or if you don't like sharing kitchens or stuff like that you can pay a bit more for a studio.

PS You'll love it in Liverpool :biggrin:
Original post by halamadrid777
Thanks a ton. I got an offer yesterday to study CompSci. I so badly want to attend Liverpool :biggrin: but I've a few questions.
*Can I find single rooms in Liverpool after I complete my 1st year or do I have to share? I don't prefer sharing my room with others:confused::redface:

Hi :smile:

I'm at Liverpool too.

You don't have to share even in first year. All the rooms in student accommodation are single rooms - you just share a kitchen, and, in some cases a bathroom, but you definitely don't have to share your room!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexandra19
Hi :smile:

I'm at Liverpool too.

You don't have to share even in first year. All the rooms in student accommodation are single rooms - you just share a kitchen, and, in some cases a bathroom, but you definitely don't have to share your room!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot :smile:
I am not an international applicant, but as far as I'm aware you are prioritied for 2nd-4th year accommodation if you wish to apply for it.

I really like vine court and crown place (all en suite, almost all self catered sharing kitchens with 8), it is expensive for up north though.

Since its a Russell group uni it should be in good standing with any employers, but it does depend on the quality of your degree of course!

The students union was a little bare compared to other places, but it's only missing shops which aren't that important. There are plenty of clubs (sporting or otherwise) which are advertised at the open days, so I assume a fair number of them look great.

Liverpool is definitely my #1 choice, no doubt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending