The Student Room Group

Help with footnotes

If your referencing a fact or a quote from a secondary text when writing an essay but it says in the book that it got this fact/quote from another source, do you reference the secondary text in your essay, or do you reference the source which the fact/quote came from originally?
Reply 1
Are you using Harvard referencing? If so, here is an answer.

If not, which referencing system are you expected to use?
Original post by badgerdawkins
If your referencing a fact or a quote from a secondary text when writing an essay but it says in the book that it got this fact/quote from another source, do you reference the secondary text in your essay, or do you reference the source which the fact/quote came from originally?

Is this for aqa history A2
Coursework by any chance? If so, it was perfectly acceptable for me to quote directly from the text I found it from, and not worry about all the secondary sources etc. However, it might be best to double check with your teacher just to clarify!
Reply 3
A second answer—possibly better for you—comes from the University of Exeter web site here which says:

The secondary works should list the scholarly books and articles in alphabetical order of surname; one standard way of listing these is:

R.A.S. Seaford (or Seaford, R.A.S.), Reciprocity and Ritual (Oxford, 1994).
T.I. Irwin, 'Euripides and Socrates', Classical Philology 78 (1983), 183-97.
A.A. Long, 'Language and Thought in Stoicism', in A.A. Long, ed., Problems in Stoicism (London, 1971), 75-113.

Original post by badgerdawkins

Really it's better if you can find the original text.
Thanks everyone :smile: . I have now submitted the essay this question was regarding

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending