The Student Room Group

Living away is not for me

Hi there I'm looking for advice! I am currently living 3 hours away from home and I hate it! I wish I had gone to my second choice Uni which is in my nearest city so I would commute for the 2 days of lessons/lectures. I have made some friends here but the feelings of wanting to leave are strong!! I have spoken to my tutors, the chaplaincy at Uni, student support and I'm going to see a counsellor next week. I don't want to be a failure and have a boring gap year and regret my decision but I can still achieve my goal of being a primary school teacher by doing the course nearer to home! Any suggestions for me?
What exactly is it you dislike? Is it because you're homesick you want to leave?
Yeah the feeling may be temporary if you havent had time to get used to it. Youll have to live alone in the future anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrDystopia
What exactly is it you dislike? Is it because you're homesick you want to leave?

Well I've been here for a month now and the feeling is just getting stronger! I miss my life at home I feel less independent now than what I did at home!
Original post by Lyuz
Yeah the feeling may be temporary if you havent had time to get used to it. Youll have to live alone in the future anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I won't live alone again if I can help it I get very lonely
Original post by Browniesandcoke
Well I've been here for a month now and the feeling is just getting stronger! I miss my life at home I feel less independent now than what I did at home!

Well thankfully that feeling does disappear. I got homesick after only 2 nights here, but I think you shouldn't let this opportunity go to waste and try to enjoy it to the max. Keep yourself busy and surrounded by people and you should be fine.
Hi there I'm looking for advice! I am currently living 3 hours away from home and I hate it! I wish I had gone to my second choice Uni which is in my nearest city so I would commute for the 2 days of lessons/lectures. I have made some friends here but the feelings of wanting to leave are strong!! I have spoken to my tutors, the chaplaincy at Uni, student support and I'm going to see a counsellor next week. I don't want to be a failure and have a boring gap year and regret my decision but I can still achieve my goal of being a primary school teacher by doing the course nearer to home! Any suggestions for me?

Homesickness is pretty normal in most people. It took me a few months to really settle (granted I did move to the other side of the world). Once you do settle though and make more friends, you won't have time to be homesick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why don't you speak to your uni and contact the other one about transferring? See where you stand and what your options are.
Original post by MrDystopia
Well thankfully that feeling does disappear. I got homesick after only 2 nights here, but I think you shouldn't let this opportunity go to waste and try to enjoy it to the max. Keep yourself busy and surrounded by people and you should be fine.

Yeah I have made friends but I'm just so unhappy here!!!
Original post by bobsta10
Homesickness is pretty normal in most people. It took me a few months to really settle (granted I did move to the other side of the world). Once you do settle though and make more friends, you won't have time to be homesick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem is I have very few contact hours on my course and I have a lot of free time, I just can't imagine myself being here for 3 years :frown:
Original post by joker12345
Why don't you speak to your uni and contact the other one about transferring? See where you stand and what your options are.

I have spoken to everyone possible to contact at Uni and I've been referred to a counsellor!!! Which is scary! I couldn't transfer as the course was full this year! :frown: I was gutted. It was my second choice so I know about the course
So you plan to live with your parents forever? Don't be so completely ridiculous.
I have spoken to everyone possible to contact at Uni and I've been referred to a counsellor!!! Which is scary! I couldn't transfer as the course was full this year! :frown: I was gutted. It was my second choice so I know about the course

Well, have you asked them whether you'd be able to transfer next year, or if someone dropped out could you je offered the place?
Original post by Profesh
So you plan to live with your parents forever? Don't be so completely ridiculous.

I'm only 18! And no I don't plan to live with them forever but I won't be moving out on my own because I wouldn't be able to afford it
Original post by joker12345
Well, have you asked them whether you'd be able to transfer next year, or if someone dropped out could you je offered the place?

The course leader said it was to late now to transfer even if someone dropped out but I can apply for a space for next September!
You dont have roommates??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lyuz
You dont have roommates??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on one long corridor of rooms it's not a flat or anything
Get a job - problem solved. Trust me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending