The Student Room Group

Guys and condoms.

This is question for guys.

Do you always use a condom when having sex with a girl, or are there certain girls you don't use a condom with (even when you know she's not on any birth control)?

I'm asking this because when I meet a guy and we're getting ready to have sex I always remind him to use a condom. Sometimes the guy will put it on and sometimes even when he has one he'll find some excuse to not want to use it or he'll take it off.

Why have condoms on you if you have no intentions of using it?

I've only had unprotected sex with boyfriends.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
This is question for guys.

Do you always use a condom when having sex with a girl, or are there certain girls you don't use a condom with (even when you know she's not on any birth control)?

I'm asking this because when I meet a guy and we're getting ready to have sex I always remind him to use a condom. Sometimes the guy will put it on and sometimes even when he has one he'll find some excuse to not want to use it or he'll take it off.

Why have condoms on you if you have no intentions of using it?

I've only had unprotected sex with boyfriends.

I certainly believe you always should, however in the heat of the moment it can be different. First girlfriend always insisted on condoms, was my first sex so was just happy to be getting laid. Then I had a couple of one night stands, obviously used condoms, but the second time I had difficulties with it and we did it anyway... (didn't finish inside).

With current girlfriend we both didn't like them, so did the pull out method for a bit while waiting for her birth control to start, which is silly I know.

Basically, he has condoms because he knows you, and most girls, will insist, but he tries to get out of using them because he doesn't like them. You should make it clearly you always expect him to wear a condom.
Reply 2
Personally I ****ing ahet the things... Irritating, uncomfortable, completely takes away from the experience. But I always carry them, If a girl wants me to wear them, I put one on, no questions asked, I also tend to get it done with so I can get the ****er off and rarely enjoy it but I'll wear one if asked.... Some guys are different though
Why would you have unprotected sex unless you specifically want to have a baby?
Reply 4
Original post by RibenaRockstar

Exactly what I was going to post.

Also why would you remind a boyfriend to put it on and then when he doesn't, go ahead and have sex with him anyway?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
The problem is that condoms really reduce the pleasure. The sensible head knows what should be done but I must say I have gambled a little on 'safe period' and withdrawal. Always within the context of a relationship mind. Suspect this is surprisingly common and one of mother natures little tricks. Fortunately I have never come to grief. Another issue can be that alcohol clouds judgement..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zarek
The problem is that condoms really reduce the pleasure. The sensible head knows what should be done but I must say I have gambled a little on 'safe period' and withdrawal. Always within the context of a relationship mind. Suspect this is surprisingly common and one of mother natures little tricks. Fortunately I have never come to grief.

Do you know what couples who use the withdrawal method are called?

Spoiler

Reply 7

Regardless of what the adverts say, it feels completely different. I don't know if it feels any different for a woman but it honestly is worlds apart for a man. Of course, with a condom it's easier to last longer, and there's no change of babies or any risk of catching things.

My girlfriend has a birth control implant which is actually more effective than a condom against pregnancy, but it does mean that periods could be irregular for the first 6-12 months of it, and no protection against STIs, but we both haven't had many sexual partners otherwise and we're both safe.

If a male birth control pill or implant was available then I'd be happy to use it. I remember someone using the phrase "Why wear a bulletproof vest when it's easier to just unload the gun?" [[It works if you ignore the dying from being shot bit]].

But that's pretty much all it is, all other birth control methods that do not involve a condom is all because of the feeling of skin-on-skin.

Because, for a lot of guys (and girls) it feels much better.

Spoiler

Condom use has a 2% failure rate in the first year with perfect use, 18% with typical use, the withdrawal method has 4% with perfect use, 22% typically. Those typical failure rates look extremely high both ways, but it does show the difference isn't huge.

However, we shouldn't focus just on pregnancy, the other primarily role of the condom is preventing the spread of STDs. These are pretty common, so you should definitely be using condoms with short term partners, whatever your attitude towards pregnancy, and confidence in being able to avoid it.
Reply 9

Spoiler

Whats life without a risk! More seriously I have tended to do it with people that making a baby with a some point wasn't a completely alien concept.

Original post by meenu89
Exactly what I was going to post.

Also why would you remind a boyfriend to put it on and then when he doesn't, go ahead and have sex with him anyway?

May not make a difference to the females if we use a condom or not, but it does to us, They're itchy, uncomfortable,tight, completely ruin the experience and just generally not very nice.... if we can get away without wearing them we will unfortunatley. Not saying it's the right thing to do but that's how it is.
Original post by RyRy1998
May not make a difference to the females if we use a condom or not, but it does to us, They're itchy, uncomfortable,tight, completely ruin the experience and just generally not very nice.... if we can get away without wearing them we will unfortunatley. Not saying it's the right thing to do but that's how it is.

'The females.' Nice to see you just see women as things to mate with...

And having protected sex doesn't have to = using condoms. The Pill?

Alright, Fair point, Although I was making a generalisation of a gender.... You took that completley the wrong way.
Again, This post was about condoms. I was talking about condoms, also in MY EXPERIENCE girls aren't always reliable with the pill...

The girl might be on contraceptive pills HOWEVER Id hope people only do that when they're in a stable relationship etc..

Nothing wrong with how he phrased that, he didn't insinuate that women are just objects to mate with...
I probably would not use them but only if they're on some sort of birth control. You should see some of the sla** around the area I live, some are so young and have had so many abortions. Such a shame that they do not pursue the path of study.
people on here saying they don't wear a condom but they withdraw etc, I think these are the people keeping the nasty STDs alive tbh
Original post by neal95
I probably would not use them but only if they're on some sort of birth control. You should see some of the sla** around the area I live, some are so young and have had so many abortions. Such a shame that they do not pursue the path of study.

exactly though, you're saying that the girls where you live have had sex with no birth control so many times that they've had a ridiculous number of abortions, it's such a shame that the gents don't realise that unprotected sex with a slut is quite likely to give them an STI
If you don't use a condom with someone you don't know or only a short amount of time, then you're a total idiot in my eyes.

This. Regardless of how good it feels, why would you risk it?! :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending