The Student Room Group

Football hooligans (ultras and the like)

Can never really understand that part of the game. I mean, it's great showing passion for your club and everything. But a lot of these scumbags from the 80's did not even really care about the football or the result of the game. Some of them go so far as it letting the scene consume their lives back in the 80's in the UK. For example, in my city me and my mates know a guy from the pub who never had kids with his wife because he valued his fights more, and plus she would have probably been targetted. You see these former 'soldiers' in cities every week starting fights and it is embarassing because they are in their 40's and 50's now, some older with grandchildren. Yet, they desperately try to cling on to the old days and expect people to recognise them as the 'real' fans.
Those who do it to show passion for their club - I get it.

Those who do it just to fight and cause havoc - nah. I get that they probably got into it all through support of their club, but once it became more important to them than the football, it makes no sense really.
Reply 2
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Those who do it to show passion for their club - I get it.

Those who do it just to fight and cause havoc - nah. I get that they probably got into it all through support of their club, but once it became more important to them than the football, it makes no sense really.

I understand the supporting the club/hometown part. What I don't get is when these people let it basically take over their lives, stop them from living a normal life and let it threaten those in their families. It's really selfish because those around them don't have a choice to be collateral damage. It is not so much people our age (20's, teens) , it's those from older generations who still hang on to the 'glory days' of basically going around Europe/ the UK beating and looting.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fighting someone because their favourite team is different to yours is embarrassing.

Also when people act the **** at football matches, that makes it more uncomfortable for all fans especially if you're watching a match abroad and are English.

You only have to sneeze at some places and you're arrested.
They do it because if they can't win on the pitch, they'll try win off the pitch. Secondly fighting like that and charging towards your rivals is a great adrenaline rush that is hard to overcome. You have drug addiction help but not for adrenaline. Soldiers also find it hard to let go of their war time experience so find a substitute which is hooliganism. Soldiers can also be linked to PTSD.

Supporters can wind each other up by chanting things which are linked to the club's tragic times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMBCFC
They do it because if they can't win on the pitch, they'll try win off the pitch. Secondly fighting like that and charging towards your rivals is a great adrenaline rush that is hard to overcome. You have drug addiction help but not for adrenaline. Soldiers also find it hard to let go of their war time experience so find a substitute which is hooliganism. Soldiers can also be linked to PTSD.

Supporters can wind each other up by chanting things which are linked to the club's tragic times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, as long as the chants dont mock Hillsborough, Munich, Istanbul, Bradford fire etc, its fine by me, not being allowed to chant "Chelsea rent boys" anymore is embarrassing, the idea of a football 'Home' match is to make it as intimidating as possible for the opposition, its gone too soft now, one big reason for away teams doing much better these days
Great banter that.

Quick Reply

Latest