Which A-levels? Should I take 5??

Watch this thread
Student78
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm about to pick my a-level options and I am definite on Maths,Chemistry,Music and Theatre studies/Performing arts. I would like to do another, maybe only to AS level though, should I choose business studies or physics, I am predicted both for A* in igcse and A* in igcse maths as I know a lot of maths is involved in physics. Also Is it less of a jump from IGCSE to A-level rather than just gcse? Thanks in advance!!
midgemeister7
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Student78)
Hi, I'm about to pick my a-level options and I am definite on Maths,Chemistry,Music and Theatre studies/Performing arts. I would like to do another, maybe only to AS level though, should I choose business studies or physics, I am predicted both for A* in igcse and A* in igcse maths as I know a lot of maths is involved in physics. Also Is it less of a jump from IGCSE to A-level rather than just gcse? Thanks in advance!!
Firstly, what would you like to do at uni? Seems a strange choice of subjects to me.

The IGCSE/GCSE jump is similar for most subjects except for sciences, where the IGCSEs are more rigorous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student78
Rep:
(Original post by midgemeister7)
Firstly, what would you like to do at uni? Seems a strange choice of subjects to me.

The IGCSE/GCSE jump is similar for most subjects except for sciences, where the IGCSEs are more rigorous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm split at the moment between sciences and music for a degree:confused:
midgemeister7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm split at the moment between sciences and music for a degree:confused:
Although you don't want to commit too early, it would be beneficial if you coild make a decision before sitting A Levels because those choices would be detrimental for both routes ie music + drama are no use really for a science degree whereas sciences/maths are no use for an arts degree.

I'd personally recommend as an example:

Science degree: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, a 4th (eg History or something different)

Music/Arts degree: Music, Drama, Eng Lit and something else complementary.

Try not to mix the two if possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student78
Rep:
Thanks for the advice if I did a full a level in physics do you think it would be too much workload? I'm already taking an extra gcse with lots of commitments outside of school dance till 8:00 most nights and I find it quite easy, I'm mostly predicted a*?
midgemeister7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the advice if I did a full a level in physics do you think it would be too much workload? I'm already taking an extra gcse with lots of commitments outside of school dance till 8:00 most nights and I find it quite easy, I'm mostly predicted a*?
Difficult to say definitively, but if you will have dance most nights in sixth form too then I would say 5 A Levels would be too much, especially with a diverse range of subjects.

I found GCSEs easy too and got (almost ) straight A*s, but the workload in my 4 AS levels is higher than my 10 GCSEs without doubt.

PS I would certainly choose physics over business studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student78
Rep:
(Original post by midgemeister7)
Difficult to say definitively, but if you will have dance most nights in sixth form too then I would say 5 A Levels would be too much, especially with a diverse range of subjects.

I found GCSEs easy too and got (almost ) straight A*s, but the workload in my 4 AS levels is higher than my 10 GCSEs without doubt.

PS I would certainly choose physics over business studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much! I think I will choose physics!
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Do Music and Theatre Studies both involve large coursework components? If so, I'd definitely stray away from taking five.
Student78
Rep:
No music doesn't, theatre studies does a bit but the teachers said that will be done in class
C0balt
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I would do:
Maths, physics, chemistry and Music

This is because I don't think any uni requires performing art studies or anything since not every school offers it whereas many science courses require 3 sciences.

You may swap physics for biology depending on what sort of science you're into. If you're set on biological science route then biology, if not then physics because it opens more doors (engineering, compsci etc) and it has a bit of links with music (not much but it's quite interesting I think lol)

Or I'd start with the 5 then drop as you go if you find them too much

As to IGCSE, yes they are harder than GCSE in science. I know it because I am at an international school where half of people did IGCSE and other half GCSE. IGCSE people had more details in their syllabus which put them a little bit ahead in the game. I also did IGCSE but my previous school didn't offer triple science so I feel disadvantaged instead lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
HollieAMarie
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,
I took Theatre Studies, Physics, Biology and Maths in my AS Year and I now study Theatre, Physics and Biology and am predicted ABB for A2.
Don't let people put you off mixing fields. Theatre and Music are by no means 'soft' A-Levels, people just regard them so. The fact of the matter is it really depends on what field you want to go into and if you're wanting to keep your choices open then you're doing the right thing.

If you're wanting to go into music then physics is useful (harmonics ect). Also, having physics is great for any physical science based degree (watch for biosciences as they may prefer the biology and chemistry combination).

Five a-levels does work for some people but doesn't work for others. Consider that maths and sciences require a great deal of study time and Drama will require rehearsal time when it comes to your performance exam.

Good luck! I hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student78
Rep:
Wow thanks for all of the responses everyone! Thanks for letting me know about the igcse/gcse advantage, and also HollieAmarie for the advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (227)
42.27%
The paper was reasonable (229)
42.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
8.94%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
6.15%

Watched Threads