The Student Room Group

A- Level Biology/Chemistry

When it comes to end of topic assessments, I seem to be dropping marks on the application of knowledge questions, how would you go about improving on these types questions? Past papers? I don't seem to have any problems in regards to the knowledge aspect
Reply 1
Past papers are the best bet, as you'll get used to the sort of things they expect you to be able to do. Also make sure you understand why everything works, as opposed to just learning what happens - application can only come with understanding (this is the biggest difference between GCSE and A-level sciences).
Reply 2
Original post by tory88
Past papers are the best bet, as you'll get used to the sort of things they expect you to be able to do. Also make sure you understand why everything works, as opposed to just learning what happens - application can only come with understanding (this is the biggest difference between GCSE and A-level sciences).

Thanks for the reply, I'm guessing you did very well at a-level :smile:
Original post by Joshua697
When it comes to end of topic assessments, I seem to be dropping marks on the application of knowledge questions, how would you go about improving on these types questions? Past papers? I don't seem to have any problems in regards to the knowledge aspect

Question that knowledge, don't just memorise the book, or do a 2012 past paper and be like "yep, done" Go back to the older papers... for my A2 chem exams I went back all the way to Jan 1996, you can find such old papers for your exam board at xtremepapers.com

After you "understand" everything, move on to the more recent papers, and treat them like the real thing, they will be a strong indication of what you're likely to get
Reply 4
Original post by R Dragon
Question that knowledge, don't just memorise the book, or do a 2012 past paper and be like "yep, done" Go back to the older papers... for my A2 chem exams I went back all the way to Jan 1996, you can find such old papers for your exam board at xtremepapers.com

After you "understand" everything, move on to the more recent papers, and treat them like the real thing, they will be a strong indication of what you're likely to get

So the application questions will be pretty similar throughout the years on a certain topic?
Original post by Joshua697
So the application questions will be pretty similar throughout the years on a certain topic?

For chemistry, yes :3

The old papers for biology weren't as good imo so probs not
Reply 6
Original post by R Dragon
For chemistry, yes :3

The old papers for biology weren't as good imo so probs not

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending