The Student Room Group

Calculating the exact value of trig ratios

arccos-1/2

https://9d7fc71c7b4ac6b796d66d68d061a8e00d3191c7.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU1BlRFpLN3lyYXM/CH6.pdf

I want to use the method used on P68 Qe)

I understand that because cos is negative, the angle is in either Sin/Tan quadrant. Why have they used the Sin quadrant in the question and not the tan one?
Original post by ps1265A
arccos-1/2

I understand that because cos is negative, the angle is in either Sin/Tan quadrant. Why have they used the Sin quadrant in the question and not the tan one?

you mean arccos(12)\arccos(\frac{-1}{2}) right?

'I understand that because cos is negative, the angle is in either Sin/Tan quadrant.' - Correct

'Why have they used the Sin quadrant in the question and not the tan one?' - As i am sure you are aware there are infinity many θ:cos(θ)=12\theta : cos(\theta)=\frac{-1}{2}. What you are looking for is the principle value which for cos(θ)cos(\theta) means 0θπ0\le \theta \le\pi. This clearly means the angle lines in the 'Sin quadrant'.
Original post by ps1265A
arccos-1/2

https://9d7fc71c7b4ac6b796d66d68d061a8e00d3191c7.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU1BlRFpLN3lyYXM/CH6.pdf

I want to use the method used on P68 Qe)

Do I really have to count 68 pages to see what you are asking

Show the relevant section
Reply 3
Original post by tombayes
you mean arccos(12)\arccos(\frac{-1}{2}) right?

'I understand that because cos is negative, the angle is in either Sin/Tan quadrant.' - Correct

'Why have they used the Sin quadrant in the question and not the tan one?' - As i am sure you are aware there are infinity many θ:cos(θ)=12\theta : cos(\theta)=\frac{-1}{2}. What you are looking for is the principle value which for cos(θ)cos(\theta) means 0θπ0\le \theta \le\pi. This clearly means the angle lines in the 'Sin quadrant'.

Thanks!

What quadrant would you go for if you had an anglr in cos and tan, and why?

Could you help me with Qf)

Why is the answer -pi/6? Why haven't they applied a similar method to Qe) where you do 180-30 to give you there answer? Why have they left it as -pi/6?
Original post by ps1265A
Thanks!

Could you help me with Qf)

Why is the answer -pi/6? Why haven't they applied a similar method to Qe) where you do 180-30 to give you there answer? Why have they left it as -pi/6?

Again principle values - look it up
Reply 5
Original post by tombayes
Again principle values - look it up

PRINCIPLE VALUES:
- When you take the inverse trig function of a positive number the principal value is the answer in the first quadrant. <- WHERE EVERYTHING IS +VE

- When you take the inverse trig function of a negative number the principal value is the answer in either in the second or the fourth quadrant with the following rules:
arcsin and arctan are in the fourth quadrant.
arccos is in the second quadrant.

So I'd use the cos quadrant instead of the sin one in this case, right?

Quick Reply

Latest