The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of college?

I'm suffering with my mental health and have been for some time, I'm currently studying A2 and I'm really struggling to keep myself above it all, and am debating whether to drop a subject and just do 2, drop out of college all together and have a break for a bit before applying for an apprenticeship, or just grin and bare it and hope I dont get any more unwell.
Its really taking a toll on my day to day life, and I feel physically ill at the thought of going into college now.
I just need help or advice or something
Anything anyone could say would be really appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by despicablerach
I'm suffering with my mental health and have been for some time, I'm currently studying A2 and I'm really struggling to keep myself above it all, and am debating whether to drop a subject and just do 2, drop out of college all together and have a break for a bit before applying for an apprenticeship, or just grin and bare it and hope I dont get any more unwell.
Its really taking a toll on my day to day life, and I feel physically ill at the thought of going into college now.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if dropping out is a good idea, unless you've not got any other options. Have you been in contact with your college's support department?
Yeah they just tell me to deal with it and that everybody had problems and they don't need me complaining and moaning that I can't cope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by despicablerach

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you cope in your first year? Dropping out really should be a last resort- I do talk from experience, here. I know it's cliche, but you only should considering dropping out if you have virtually explored every avenue. I understand that it's probably not a good time for you at the moment- it can be tough when you're aren't be showered with opportunities and choices.
Do you feel that A Levels aren't right for you, and that a different course would be a better option? Or is it purely that your head isn't in a good place right now?
I can't advise whole heartily as I'm not really an expert of mental stability myself. :smile: What I would advise, from a complete perspective of an outsider looking in and somebody who has experienced the repercussions of dropping out and having little options to turn to, is don't drop out just yet. Ultimately, nobody can force you to attend and it is your call. Perhaps give it time, your problems may ease and then you can be in a better place to make judgements. Although, being a second year A Level student, I'm sure the pressure is on. Is there anyone you can talk to? Family, friends, acquaintances or anyone else, other than the person you already have, at college?. Another cliche, a problem shared is a problem halved- not always, I must stress, but sometimes when you're feeling a little chaotic it can help to verbally offload. :smile:
I'm not sure what I'm saying here, I'm acutely aware that I'm just rambling, I just wanted to give you some words of encouragement, just another voice to straighten everything out.

I hope things start to become clearer soon! :console:

Quick Reply

Latest