Japanese Studies or Psychology with Japanese on the side?

Watch this thread
plumblossomtori
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all,

I am a mature student planning to go to university in 2015. My two big interests in life are social sciences and Japan, and eventually I would like a career where I can combine my interests. I haven’t completely decided what job I want to aim for, or if I’d like to move to Japan long-term or remain in England. However, I do want to spend at least a year or so teaching English in Japan, hopefully with JET.

Right now, I’m trying to choose whether to go for a degree in Japanese Studies (which is like anthropology focusing on Japan, as well as language) as that will cover both interests, or whether to take Psychology and study Japanese with a separate language course. I’m wondering if a psychology degree would be better for job opportunities than Japanese Studies - and I'll also be able to study closer to home (Reading or Surrey unis), which would be a bonus for me.

Thanks for reading, any advice?
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by plumblossomtori)
Hi all,

I am a mature student planning to go to university in 2015. My two big interests in life are social sciences and Japan, and eventually I would like a career where I can combine my interests. I haven’t completely decided what job I want to aim for, or if I’d like to move to Japan long-term or remain in England. However, I do want to spend at least a year or so teaching English in Japan, hopefully with JET.

Right now, I’m trying to choose whether to go for a degree in Japanese Studies (which is like anthropology focusing on Japan, as well as language) as that will cover both interests, or whether to take Psychology and study Japanese with a separate language course. I’m wondering if a psychology degree would be better for job opportunities than Japanese Studies - and I'll also be able to study closer to home (Reading or Surrey unis), which would be a bonus for me.

I don't think Psychology has particularly any better job prospects than Japanese studies. Japanese studies is a bit more niche though and I'd be interested in knowing what graduates end up doing.

Japan is a great country to explore and travel perhaps teach english in, but you have to remember that teaching english usually isn't a career and you'll probably find it difficult to settle in Japan permanently.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departme...panese-ma-hons

I'm not sure if you've considered Edinburgh, you spend your 3rd year in Japan although i'm sure most courses do this.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by plumblossomtori)
Hi all,

if anything, coming out of uni with a languages degree would give you greater job prospects!!
plumblossomtori
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you very much, both of you!

Okorange, I've heard of people who've done Japanese studies doing all sort of things. A lot of them do begin with teaching English in Japan, but then go on to almost anything that involves the Japanese language and culture (there's a big element of social anthropology in Japanese Studies). People do translation for companies, research work, museums and art galleries, all kinds of things.

I would be doing my course in Oxford Brookes, since it's near to home and they also give students a year in Japan.

TheTechN1304, that is very true! I'll have language experience as well as experience in the social sciences aspect of the degree.
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Some choose dual honours because they believe that would be more interesting and more stimulating.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (131)
66.16%
No (45)
22.73%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.11%

Watched Threads