why1758
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
After coming to the knowledge that time began after the big bang, I have come to wonder what reality was like before time came into existence. Does anybody have a good explanation as to what 'time' is?
Wait, what?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Time is the 4th dimension, it's all quite confusing really, "space-time" is used quite a lot, time is subjective and changes dependant on the observer. For example, things travelling at the speed of light move from place to place instantaneously from their perspective... So with that in mind, time travel to the future is possible- time dilation effects start becoming noticable at 10% c (c=speed of light, the universal constant) hope this helps... YouTube Einsteins theory of relativity, there's some good explanations of how time works there, hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
why1758
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks. I think i understand the concept a bit more than before.
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
put that into google and you will find site after site talking about it.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by why1758)
After coming to the knowledge that time began after the big bang, I have come to wonder what reality was like before time came into existence. Does anybody have a good explanation as to what 'time' is?
In simple terms, time is an arbitrary observation between the occurrence of at least two independent events.

In human terms, time is observed by referencing events against two other rhythmic and repeatable events such as the movement of the hands of a clock, or in more precise ways, the two events are referenced against the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave emitted when an excited electron transitions (drops) between energy levels of a caesium-133 atom.

Since these definitions both rely on the speed of light (which Einstein said is a universal constant which cannot be exceeded), and that gravity can deflect electromagnetic waves (light), the observation of time and hence the occurrence of events may not be agreed for different observers of the same event but made in different gravitational fields.

Also, since gravity is a product of mass, at the Big Bang, all matter in the universe is concentrated into an infinitely small space (known as a singularity). The laws of physics and hence the language of physics (mathematics) as we know them, break down at this point because the singularity introduces infinity: infinite mass, infinite gravity, infinite energy etc. Our references for measuring time become meaningless.

Because of the infinity, matter and energy become meaningless, the four forces as we know them break down, and physics cannot deal with the consequences.

We are therefore currently constrained to say events before the Big Bang are meaningless, not because there are no events, (there may or may not be) but also because we have no way of observing or predicting anything before the Big Bang (if anything existed at all).

Time for us and the universe we live in therefore began at that instant and we are forced to speculate on what may or may not be the reality outside of our universe.
coolerthanbeans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow, this thread reminds me of this scene in Mr Nobody:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads