Want to go into neuroscience - should I do a biology or psychology degree Watch

blossomx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am two weeks into my psychology degree and I'm really liking my introduction to neuroscience class and I feel like I've finally discovered what kind of area I want to work in when I graduate. I have also been taking a biology class which I've been enjoying. I'm not sure whether to switch courses onto biology?

Which course would be more relevant for neuroscience? I can choose school-wide options during my first two years so I will still be able to take my introduction to neuroscience class no matter what. However, I'm not sure whether I should graduate with a BSc in psychology or biological sciences.

Any advice please? If I do switch courses it will have to be done before the end of the week.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biology hands down. If you have time, read about neurobiology.
Doctor_Einstein
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
I am two weeks into my psychology degree and I'm really liking my introduction to neuroscience class and I feel like I've finally discovered what kind of area I want to work in when I graduate. I have also been taking a biology class which I've been enjoying. I'm not sure whether to switch courses onto biology?

Which course would be more relevant for neuroscience? I can choose school-wide options during my first two years so I will still be able to take my introduction to neuroscience class no matter what. However, I'm not sure whether I should graduate with a BSc in psychology or biological sciences.

Any advice please? If I do switch courses it will have to be done before the end of the week.
Definitely switch to biology. Most biological and physical scientists view psychology as a social pseudoscience.
Annii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I was in a VERY similar position a couple of months ago, thinking which one would be better to do. Although there is quite a bit of neuroscience covered in psychology degrees it is still more 'psychology-based' rather than 'scientifically-based'. And as you probably know, neuroscience is more towards the scientific side of things which means a biological sciences or similar biology degree would be more suitable as a foundation to start from and also more likable to admission tutors.

Considering you want to go into neuroscience, I assume you know that a PhD or Masters is the next step and having done some research on their requirements, I found out that most of them prefer a "biology/biological sciences/any pure scientific" degree, although they do also consider psychology, engineering and other related backgrounds.

You would be better off doing a biological sciences that's what I finally chose to do anyway x

Posted from TSR Mobile
iammichealjackson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)

Psychology degrees just don't cover the amount of biochemistry and cell biology you will need to know for some aspects of neuroscience. Neuroscience is really broad though: psychology will prepare you well for behavioural/cognitive aspects of it, but not for the more "biological" aspects. If its too late to swap now, you could try to move degrees in your second year, or do a masters in neuroscience!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (213)
52.99%
No (189)
47.01%

Watched Threads