The Student Room Group

Which Universities should enter the Russell Group next?

So with the edition of a few Universities in 2012, which others should become a part of the group?

Universities like SOAS, Bath , St. Andrews and Leicester should surely join. All are very good in their fields and it seems odd they haven't so far.

Do you see any Universities joining in the near future at all?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
So with the edition of a few Universities in 2012, which others should become a part of the group?

Universities like SOAS, Bath , St. Andrews and Leicester should surely join. All are very good in their fields and it seems odd they haven't so far.

Do you see any Universities joining in the near future at all?

What's their research funding levels though?
Reply 2
The Russell Group isn't some gold standard, its a group of large research-intensive universities acting together to represent their common interests.
It would be interesting to see there exists a table of UK universities by research funding. The Wikipedia article on the RG gives the research funding of RG members, but it would be interesting to see if there is one for the UK as a whole.
Original post by Smack
It would be interesting to see there exists a table of UK universities by research funding. The Wikipedia article on the RG gives the research funding of RG members, but it would be interesting to see if there is one for the UK as a whole.

Your wish is my command.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/download?ac=19899

Take a look at Durham and York compared with Dundee, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Leicester
Original post by nulli tertius
Your wish is my command.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/download?ac=19899

Take a look at Durham and York compared with Dundee, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Leicester

Your link disna work I'm afraid.
Original post by Smack
Your link disna work I'm afraid.

Does for me. It is a pdf. I've attached it
London metropolitan universityv

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surrey :tongue:
As Comus mentioned, the RG isn't a gold standard. There is simply one or more RG research-intensive universities for every region of the UK, pretty much. For example, QUB for NI and Edinburgh for Scotland. Even the lowest-paid (in terms of grants) RG members earn more than the institutions you have mentioned.
Original post by Frank the Tankk
As Comus mentioned, the RG isn't a gold standard. There is simply one or more RG research-intensive universities for every region of the UK, pretty much. For example, QUB for NI and Edinburgh for Scotland. Even the lowest-paid (in terms of grants) RG members earn more than the institutions you have mentioned.

Who?
Original post by nulli tertius
Who?

Queen's University Belfast earns more than Bath and significantly more than St Andrews.
Queen's University Belfast earns more than Bath and significantly more than St Andrews.

And Durham, Exeter and York (and obviously LSE) earn vastly less than Dundee (which earns more than QUB) and less than Aberdeen and Leicester. Strathclyde also surpasses Exeter and York.
London Met
I think the Ultra prestigious Wolverhampton deserves a place there, a quality renowned institution with the highest of entry standards.

Are you trying to say that Edinburgh is just there because they need an RG in Scotland? Lol.
London Met
London Met
Original post by Okorange
Are you trying to say that Edinburgh is just there because they need an RG in Scotland? Lol.

That's not strictly what I said, but there is an RG uni from roughly every region.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending