The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cara_rose
When we did our PSYA4 mock, we were allocated 50 minutes for research methods, within which I had plenty of time. Roughly try to allocate a minute per mark, and then use whatever it left over in the section you struggle with most. The marks are split 24, 24 and 35 I believe, so 83 marks in total.

If you spend 35-40 minutes on each of the 24 mark sections. Then you have around 40 minutes for research methods, which I think should be sufficient. But obviously these are just based on how I feel about RM, if you struggle with it, you may need to allocate more time :smile:

Hope this helps

Thanks!
Original post by Archie Fisher
Guys, seen some people talking about how there could be 12 markers on infradian/circadian rhythms separately--the only essay I've memorised from that part of the spec is 'Discuss the role of endogenous pacemakers in the control of one or more biological rhythms'.

What exactly is a question about infradian/circadian rhythms asking about? How would you answer this sort of question?

The specification says "Circadian, infradian, and ultradian rhthyms, including the role of endogenous pacemakers and of exogenous zeitgebers in the control of circadian rhythms" Therefore the only 24 marker you could get would be on circadian rhythms in relation to EP or EZ. You only need to know the description of each individual rhythm
Is it really true that AQA have to bring up role of hormone/genes and evolutionary explanations before the new spec comes into force?
Original post by Archie Fisher
Thanks, this is really helpful. For these two questions though:

- Discuss the role of exogenous zeitgebers on circadian rhythms
- Discuss the role of endogenous pacemakers on circadian rhythms

Are they essentially the same question, i.e. can you use the same studies for both (I've put some examples in spoiler)?

For example, Siffre's study shows what happens to our sleeping patterns when endogenous pacemakers are left to run free, but you can easily turn it round and say the study shows what happens when exogenous zeitgebers are removed as a variable. Would you approach these questions in the same way?

I'd approach them in similar ways, but not the same. We were given handouts in class from an AQA book with all the possible essay questions and some plans and guidance- in that it said that, if the question was on endogenous factors for example, you must focus on endogenous factors and use studies on exogenous factors for evaluation points only (it said 'to contrast ideas'). But yes, I would use the same studies just change the way that you apply them so that the main focus is on the impact of the findings on research into endogenous factors (and obviously vice versa for exogenous)
I've started memorising from months ago, but psya4 is gonna piss me off
I personally think its more important to learn the content and have the knowledge firm in your mind than learn the exact structure of each essay- I wouldn't get too het up about learning the essays off by heart, as long as you know the key point. You can then embellish and expand in the exam.
Original post by crawfy
I personally think its more important to learn the content and have the knowledge firm in your mind than learn the exact structure of each essay- I wouldn't get too het up about learning the essays off by heart, as long as you know the key point. You can then embellish and expand in the exam.

I agree, though it's a guaranteed way to pass, I think memorizing essays is too much work. Knowing the key points is more efficient for the mind.
does anyone have any AO2 points for ultradian rhythms? I'm struggling to get the 1:2 balance
Original post by crawfy
I'd approach them in similar ways, but not the same. We were given handouts in class from an AQA book with all the possible essay questions and some plans and guidance- in that it said that, if the question was on endogenous factors for example, you must focus on endogenous factors and use studies on exogenous factors for evaluation points only (it said 'to contrast ideas'). But yes, I would use the same studies just change the way that you apply them so that the main focus is on the impact of the findings on research into endogenous factors (and obviously vice versa for exogenous)

Cheers
Original post by BritishRose
Is it really true that AQA have to bring up role of hormone/genes and evolutionary explanations before the new spec comes into force?

Well I certainly think that they ought to. They'd probably want to throw them in before the new spec comes out to say that they've included every possible essay from the gender topic.
However I wouldn't rely on that as they could do one 4+8 marker on genes and hormones (for example) and another 4 + 8 marker on a repeat of whatever came up last year - so I'd try to revise everything and only prioritise closer to the exam.
Just out of interest, how many pieces of research are people using for each essay?

I always thought 3-4 was fine with an extra 2 IDAs (for unit 3 especially)
You cannot really evaluate a biological process however you can evaluate its application;
Hibernstion is an example of a ultradian rhythm you can clearly state that this is generalisable to animals and not humans as we do NOT hibernate therefore criticising its very existence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gazzaaa
Just out of interest, how many pieces of research are people using for each essay?

I go with the guideline:
16 marks (of evaluation): 8 points
8 marks- 4 points.
Some essays dont really need research to back it up as the most marks come from evaluation therefore a few studies would be useful about 4+ for each topic. Therefore you are well prepared. But remember ti include IDA as this tests your knowledge on the topicand irs application to the real world;
Does it generate a testable hypothesis?
Is the research coherant?
Is it reductionist? If so how?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emily.97
I go with the guideline:
16 marks (of evaluation): 8 points
8 marks- 4 points.

8 points per theory or altogether 8 points for the whole evaluation?
Original post by samboosa0
8 points per theory or altogether 8 points for the whole evaluation?

For the whole evaluation.
For the whole evaluation.

*phew* :h:
Original post by samboosa0
*phew* :h:

Yeah, they haven't provided enough material for the other option. I'll be fuming if they expect it from us though.
Yeah, they haven't provided enough material for the other option. I'll be fuming if they expect it from us though.

True! It would just not possible to write it within the time limit given let alone having to learn that much content on top of how much we already have to.
Original post by Gazzaaa

4 studies with 2 IDA's is fine :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending