ThahminaShanaz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all

I'm currently in year 11 studying my gcses. At the moment i'm quite on track and achieving my predicted grades except for maths. But after my mock exams and depending on the results, my parents may get me a private tutor.

If you could answer the following i'd really appreciate it

-What gcses grades (for core subjects) is needed to qualify for a midwifery course?
-What A-levels are recommended?
-Did you have to volunteer in local organisations (such as sure start, children's centres etc)
-Are courses paid for?
-How long is a midwifery degree and do you start straight away?

Thanks in advance
xx-Samantha-xx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThahminaShanaz)
Hi all

I'm currently in year 11 studying my gcses. At the moment i'm quite on track and achieving my predicted grades except for maths. But after my mock exams and depending on the results, my parents may get me a private tutor.

-What gcses grades (for core subjects) is needed to qualify for a midwifery course?
-Did you have to volunteer in local organisations (such as sure start, children's centres etc)
-Are courses paid for?

Thanks in advance
Hiya, I did Adult Nursing so some of these I can answer hopefully.

1+2) GCSEs, generally they want a minimum of C's in core subjects, some universities even want B's minimum in core subjects so you are best off looking around the internet at the universities that you would think of going to and looking up the entry requirements. Same goes for A Levels however i think the minimum i've seen offers wise for A Levels is BCC as of late but again look at the university websites as they can tell you better what they would want and specifics on whether or not they wanted any science based A Level though i will say that this helps greatly people on my course came with Arts and Humanities A Levels and were offered places based on the work experience they did.

3) Work Experience in a sense is more important for some universities than grades, you can have all the grades in the world but if they think you don't know anything about the healthcare setting they will out you early on so experience is essential !! Granted it is difficult to get the right experience it is available. For example i had nearly 3 years working in retail in customer services, not healthcare granted but dealt with the general public on a daily bases, there are loads of transferable skills in this sector so don't completely over look it ! They are being more strict about who they accept on the courses they want you to have the right experience so try clinics, after school clubs, volunteering in a nursing home or even a hospital, however this might be easier to do when in college as some wards in the hospitals want you to be 16/17 depending on the area etc. I had my retail experience, 3 days on a ward shadowing the nurses and Drs, and a couple of months volunteering at my primary school at their after school club, i also used to be part of the Army Cadets which i bought into it as well (discipline, teamwork etc).

4) Midwifery and Nursing are generally and currently funded by the NHS so they will pay for tuition fees and offer a means tested bursary + grant but the amount of places are being reduced. There are generally less places for midwifery than Nursing for example i think the university of Manchester had about 20-40 places for midwifery and around 300 for Nursing (Child, Adult and Learning disability). Hence making it harder to get a place.

5) Midwifery, like Nursing is a 3 year degree as far as i am aware though Nursing in Scotland is 4 years not sure about midwifery again this will be on the university websites. As for starting straight away i'm not sure what you mean?

Hope this has been helpful
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThahminaShanaz)
Hi all

-Are courses paid for?

Thanks in advance
Hiya!

Great questions! I'll move this into the midwifery forum for you

Good luck with your studies!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The experience is important. Too many people apply for Midwif because they 'love babies' and haven't worked out that most of the work is with adults. And usually adults who are considerably older than they are. Unis need to be certain that you really do understand the reality of the job - and that the course isnt a breezy three years as a student. You will be working on wards from your first term, and this includes doing night shifts, clearing up sick/poo, and dealing with people in great pain. Most 17/18 year olds don't have the maturity to handle any of this stuff. A year or so working in any healthcare setting will open your eyes and make you more certain this really is what you want to do for a living. It doesnt have to involve Midwif. A Special School, an Old People's Home or a Drug Rehab centre, or anywhere else that you can get voluntary or paid work will do.

Lots of useful info here : http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore...eer/midwifery/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.77%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
13.21%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
15.09%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
39.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
16.98%

Watched Threads