A_kris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I started AS French and Spanish in September, I know it's still early into the courses but I feel like i'm a bit out of my depth. I got great grades in my GCSE's but the jump to A level is huge for me. I'm struggling to get back into the basics and finding the lessons quite difficult.

Anybody else done A level foreign languages?
Does it get easier?
Funch04
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in year 13 now, but for AS I did both French and Spanish because I did the French GCSE a year early so had time to concentrate on Spanish GCSE in year 11. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of French solely because of the teachers and said a load of Spanish words in my French speaking exam... But overall I ended up with a B in each of them (Spanish 149 UMS, French 146 UMS) which wasn't too bad!

And it does get easier, when you get in the 'rhythm' of the languages and can pick out the similarities (of which there are a lot!)
A_kris
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by FunsoFH)
I'm in year 13 now, but for AS I did both French and Spanish because I did the French GCSE a year early so had time to concentrate on Spanish GCSE in year 11. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of French solely because of the teachers and said a load of Spanish words in my French speaking exam... But overall I ended up with a B in each of them (Spanish 149 UMS, French 146 UMS) which wasn't too bad!
I also did French and Spanish in different years so I can relate to that. Hopefully my results end up as good as yours at the end of this year!
llamaspoon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It all gets easier, I promise! I'm in my first year of uni now studying languages, and I did both French and Spanish at A Level. At the beginning I did feel like I was floundering, but after a while it all just falls into place and becomes easier. As long as you keep on top of your work you'll be fine!
Planckton
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by A_kris)
I started AS French and Spanish in September, I know it's still early into the courses but I feel like i'm a bit out of my depth. I got great grades in my GCSE's but the jump to A level is huge for me. I'm struggling to get back into the basics and finding the lessons quite difficult.

Anybody else done A level foreign languages?
Does it get easier?
I did AS french and loved it until the oral exam when I cried! but somehow managed to get an A in that exam!
it does get easier! the tenses arent too much of a step up from GCSE, vocab is just vocab, but grammar is a pain!
Every little mistake gets picked up on, so develop proof reading skills early.
Other than that, it's not a bad AS! I dropped it after AS (before results) because I thought I'd done terribly and now i regret it!
WishIHadRevised
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It gets better don't worry. To be honest I didn't fully get into the swing of my AS levels until March time (late I know lol) and I ended up with AAABC (not working as hard as I should've though... not revising *sigh*). Just try the best you can and I bet it will work out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads