ChlooM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,
I'm really stuck between choosing Product Design and Industrial Design to study at university.
I was researching the difference between the two and saw that Industrial design is a BA and in most places Product Design is BSc. I found this quite odd as i know that Industrial branches out to cars and Machinery. Therefore I went to compare the modules and saw that with Brunel and Loughborough the modules are pretty much identical except for a couple.
i was wondering for people that are currently studying Product Design or Industrial design, what made you choose one rather than the other?
Also what is the course like?
Just any sort of advice would be good, so it can help me decide between the two!
Thanks!
littlemissmidget123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm a product design (BSc) student at Brunel.

At Brunel the courses are very similar, and have several modules in common each year. On the whole the BA courses tend to be a bit more practical, and do not go into so much depth about the technical stuff (electronics and mechanics), however they are still taught. As a general rule, if you are more scientifically minded do the BSc, else do the BA. Feel free to ask me more specific questions about this. I would also encourage you to go to open days as they usually do a great job of explaining the differences there, as all unis vary slightly in differentiating the two courses.

As for the course - I wont lie its a lot of work BA and BSc. Projects are thrown at you from day one. But I also find it very enjoyable, and love the problem solving aspect of design. Also most unis also teach you to make things in the workshop, which is a really useful skill, and very fun to do! Again feel free to ask me specific questions.
justrevising
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by littlemissmidget123)
Hi,

I'm a product design (BSc) student at Brunel.

At Brunel the courses are very similar, and have several modules in common each year. On the whole the BA courses tend to be a bit more practical, and do not go into so much depth about the technical stuff (electronics and mechanics), however they are still taught. As a general rule, if you are more scientifically minded do the BSc, else do the BA. Feel free to ask me more specific questions about this. I would also encourage you to go to open days as they usually do a great job of explaining the differences there, as all unis vary slightly in differentiating the two courses.

As for the course - I wont lie its a lot of work BA and BSc. Projects are thrown at you from day one. But I also find it very enjoyable, and love the problem solving aspect of design. Also most unis also teach you to make things in the workshop, which is a really useful skill, and very fun to do! Again feel free to ask me specific questions.
sorry but just out of curiosity what a levels would you say is best for the degree and what a levels did you take?
littlemissmidget123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by justrevising)
sorry but just out of curiosity what a levels would you say is best for the degree and what a levels did you take?
Truth is it doesnt really matter.

If you want to do the BSc maths AS as a minimum is advised, probably A2 too. Physics may also be beneficial.

Obviously you will need to take some kind of design related course - Art, DT, Graphics may all be suitable, as long as you can prove you have a real interest in the 3d Design.

I took German, Physics, DT and AS Maths.
justrevising
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by littlemissmidget123)
Truth is it doesnt really matter.

If you want to do the BSc maths AS as a minimum is advised, probably A2 too. Physics may also be beneficial.

Obviously you will need to take some kind of design related course - Art, DT, Graphics may all be suitable, as long as you can prove you have a real interest in the 3d Design.

I took German, Physics, DT and AS Maths.
If you don't mind answering any more questions would it be a disadvantage if I do not take physics? For example I am interested in the BSc degree and I want to know if that degree would be more maths oriented rather than physics in other words how much physics would it include? Thanks for answering
littlemissmidget123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by justrevising)
If you don't mind answering any more questions would it be a disadvantage if I do not take physics? For example I am interested in the BSc degree and I want to know if that degree would be more maths oriented rather than physics in other words how much physics would it include? Thanks for answering
No you wont be at a disadvantage. Everything you need to know for design is taught from the basic at uni (so those that have already done it just get an easy ride for the first few weeks), because everyone comes from so different backgrounds, they have to cover everything.
danish22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Historically, the discipline evolved from Industrial Design, Raymond Loewy etc. http://michaelaldridge.com/the-diffe...strial-design/
The bottom line the evidence of a design process, passion for design, confident sketching and an ability to generate ideas- skill sets demand by both BA and BSc course. There are BA/BSc Product Design courses around, where you experience both BA and BSc type projects in Year 1 then choose your preferred award route...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (75)
14.94%
1 (69)
13.75%
2 (65)
12.95%
20.52%
20.32%
5 (88)
17.53%

Watched Threads

Latest