Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, just found this site and seems pretty helpful so far!

I'm currently studying A2 level maths, further maths and biology and it's only just occurred to me that I'm gonna have finished in a few weeks time!

I don't really fancy University (I've had enough of full-time education) and I'd quite like to end up doing something mechanical or engineering-wise.

If I were to go to, say, Fords for example and start an apprenticeship, is there any way they'll sponsor me to do a degree in engineering etc whilst I'm there?

A friend of mine's dad works for Thames Water and said they do this and apprentices can end up with a degree in mechanical engineering, but I can't find any information on this.

Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Simon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simick1712)

I'm currently studying A2 level maths, further maths and biology and it's only just occurred to me that I'm gonna have finished in a few weeks time!

I don't really fancy University (I've had enough of full-time education) and I'd quite like to end up doing something mechanical or engineering-wise.

If I were to go to, say, Fords for example and start an apprenticeship, is there any way they'll sponsor me to do a degree in engineering etc whilst I'm there?

A friend of mine's dad works for Thames Water and said they do this and apprentices can end up with a degree in mechanical engineering, but I can't find any information on this.

Simon.
    What's putting you off the idea of a degree in Engineering? I'm sure you can find a course that's very practical based and near home.

with the sponsorship: What you can do is take a gap year to work for an engineering firm, and if you're good they can sponsor you through university. During the sponsorship you can go and work for them in your summer holidays.

You could try working for Rolls Royce.

Here: http://www.yini.org.uk/

I know to become a chartered mechanical engineer you need an MEng degree and two years of industrial experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simick1712)

Simon.
    Can't really comment on your personal situation, because I don't know anything about engineering. But I reckon you need to be careful about listening to people who say that you don't need to go to university. Ideally, you shouldn't have to go if you don't want to - there should be well respected vocational routes to take. But there don't seem to be at the moment, and it may well not be in your best interests to go that way.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.