The Student Room Group

Aerospace Engineering 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ubisoft
I visited Bath and Bristol but didn't like the city at all :s-smilie:

Is Manchester any good? and how would you say the job prospects are considering what happened at RR? wouldn't the market be saturated?

Manchester's fairly good, but from what I've heard there's quite a big gap between schools for aerospace with Manchester falling on the lower end of that gap and the ones I mentioned being above.

We talked about the situation at RR with our tutor and in the end we decided there's 3.5 years until graduation for thing to change and even if they didn't, the aerospace degree is broad enough that you don't have to go into aerospace. Worst case scenario would be you only do a BEng in aerospace then you do an MSc in a different discipline of engineering which is more in demand at the time.
Original post by theothetaco
Hi! I'm applying together with my long term boyfriend - me with medicine and him with aerospace. We have Bristol, Sheffield, Glasgow, and Liverpool (backup) together, and he has Imperial as well. He has a 44/45 predicted on the IB.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows how relatively easy or difficult it is to get in for aero in any of those schools? I remember seeing someone saying Sheffield is leniant on the grades - how likely is he to get an offer (this is one of the best unis for both of us). Any clues on the difficulty of getting into imperial? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aero's pretty easy to get into as long as you meet the grade requirements, especially for Sheffield because they're having a massive expansion of the department at the moment and they were lenient of grades even before then. For chances of him getting into Imperial, if he gets an interview the chances are quite high, 70% from what I remember, you really have quite below par in the interview to not get an offer. For him getting into Sheffield, I can't remember the chances, I think they're slightly better than most.

As for going to uni as a couple, be prepared to not see each other a lot of the time and have different friend groups.
Reply 22
Have you both studied A-Levels? What grades have you been getting and/or are predicted to get? Or equivalent of a-levels?
We're well aware of the implications of going as a couple, but it's better than seeing each other once every 2-3 months since we're EU applicants. Aware of all the risks but we decided to take the risk and support the consequences if all goes wrong. But thanks for the concern and heads up.

Thanks for the info, too. It's of great help. You don't happen to know what percent of applicants recieve interview invites for imperial, do you? :/ it's pretty annoying to find statistics of the sort...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't remember, but if he got a decent BMAT score he should get one, he'll hear from them over the next month if you're not from the UK though as they tend to give you more time to organise travel. I think I got my invite on the 9th of January for interview in early March when I applied a couple years ago.
Reply 24
congraz lol
Reply 25
Anyone heard back from Imperial (had interview 28th), Bath, Bristol for Aero? cheers
Reply 26
I still haven't heard from Bath or Bristol, and I'd like to go to Bristol. So I'm worried I might not get them since I applied ages ago. I've got my Sheffield offer though and their faculty is pretty damn good too.
Reply 27
Original post by peterglass
I still haven't heard from Bath or Bristol, and I'd like to go to Bristol. So I'm worried I might not get them since I applied ages ago. I've got my Sheffield offer though and their faculty is pretty damn good too.

yeah same, I'd love to go to Bristol, I know a few very high calibre students who have also not heard for Bristol, like 4A* predicted, so I wouldn't worry too much
Reply 28
You had an imperial interview? How was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, interview was fine, according to the current students I was lucky to get my interviewer who was the "jolliest lecturer at Imperial" and he really was, and my technical questions were just physics but the Maths test in the afternoon was horrible. They said 90% find out before Christmas so I am expecting to get rejected sometime this week. Have you applied to imperial?/ where else have you applied? Mine are Imperial, Cambridge (rejected), Bath, Bristol, Manchester (offer)
Reply 29
i got bath in mid Nov
recieve offer 20days after sent UCAS
Original post by aero23
Yeah, interview was fine, according to the current students I was lucky to get my interviewer who was the "jolliest lecturer at Imperial" and he really was, and my technical questions were just physics but the Maths test in the afternoon was horrible. They said 90% find out before Christmas so I am expecting to get rejected sometime this week. Have you applied to imperial?/ where else have you applied? Mine are Imperial, Cambridge (rejected), Bath, Bristol, Manchester (offer)

Who was this jolly lecturer you speak of???
I really want a career in the space industry, but I didn't apply to Surrey or Southampton. Really wish I did now, I applied Bath, Bristol, Cambridge, Sheffield and Manchester, starting to regret it now.
Reply 32
why is southampton or surrey better than bath?
i recieved offer from bath southampton surrey man U sheffield
and i put bath as my first choose
Original post by dragonzz
why is southampton or surrey better than bath?
i recieved offer from bath southampton surrey man U sheffield
and i put bath as my first choose

They both have a more space focused course and Surrey has a pretty significant link with the space industry given they own a Satellite manufacturing and operations company which is also a subsidary of EADS Astrium.

In practice I don't think it'll make too much difference though, if you get an industrial placement or summer internship in the space industry that'll probably give you the same leg up if not more. And after grad schemes you'd be on equal ground.
Original post by peterglass

I haven't heard from Bath either. Got an offer for Bristol though A*AA (MEng Aerospace)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lets revive this thread! We could talk about anything to do with aerospace. Btw anyone heard that Russia is trying to build a moon base under 10 billion $ within 10 years? http://itar-tass.com/en/non-political/770119

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi :smile:

I'm applying for Aero at Bath, Bristol, Brunel, Leeds and Southampton.
Studying Access to HE Engineering at the moment, and I've got a Diploma of HE in languages (two years at uni).
Not got any decisions back yet, I think that's normal with mature students (I hope so anyway!).

Good luck with applications guys! :smile:
Original post by Helen Mutter
Hi :smile:

I'm applying for Aero at Bath, Bristol, Brunel, Leeds and Southampton.
Studying Access to HE Engineering at the moment, and I've got a Diploma of HE in languages (two years at uni).
Not got any decisions back yet, I think that's normal with mature students (I hope so anyway!).

Good luck with applications guys! :smile:

Hey, I applied bath,Bristol,Leeds and Southampton. Which uni would you really like to go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bristol is my first choice, because they have the option to do an integrated study abroad year in Europe (normally it's an extra year), and they have a module run by Airbus, who I'd really like to work for in the future :smile:
I think Leeds is second, but maybe that's because it's the only open day I've been to so far.. But I like how the first 2 years are common to all Mech Eng courses, it seems to give a better foundation and maybe helps with employability? And they seemed to have a really proactive careers office. The Toyota internship scheme looks cool!
To be honest though I'd be thrilled if I got an offer from any of them! :smile:

Where are you hoping to go?
Original post by Helen Mutter
Bristol is my first choice, because they have the option to do an integrated study abroad year in Europe (normally it's an extra year), and they have a module run by Airbus, who I'd really like to work for in the future :smile:
I think Leeds is second, but maybe that's because it's the only open day I've been to so far.. But I like how the first 2 years are common to all Mech Eng courses, it seems to give a better foundation and maybe helps with employability? And they seemed to have a really proactive careers office. The Toyota internship scheme looks cool!
To be honest though I'd be thrilled if I got an offer from any of them! :smile:

Where are you hoping to go?

I'm aiming for Bristol or Southampton because of the amount of space content, I want to go into the space industry. Southampton is probably best for space but Bristol has a good reputation abroad as well as the integrated year in industry which is awesome. I've been to Southampton twice but will go to Bristol in February for applicants day to see how it is. I got an offer from Leeds but I don't really fancy it as when I went there for a visit, they didn't really have as much tech and equipments like all the other uni's do for aerospace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest