The Student Room Group

Self teaching Maths and FM

Having already been to college once before and dropping out of uni after a year, I've decided it's time for a fresh start. From what I have heard self teaching these areas is highly doable with the right resources and motivation.

I've been using Edexcels course structure and just hoped someone could clear something up; Is this a legitimate structure?

Maths:
AS - C1, C2, M1.
A2 - C3, C4, M2.

Further Maths:
AS - FP1, M3, M4.
A2 - FP2, FP3, M5, S1, S2, S3.

Would this be the correct way of approaching things, or is it possible to switch M3 and M4 with FP2 and FP3?
Maths is fine, although I would sub M2 with S1, put M2 with FM, M2 is a FM A2 module, which contributes towards A*. It would be "wasteful" to put it with maths.

For FM, you must take FP1, and at least one of FP2 or FP3. FP3 CAN be harder in my opinion, FP2 is overall easier.

The rest M2, M3, S2, S3 is fine, or M2-4, S2.

So for example for FM you can do: FP1-2,M2-3,S2-3 OR FP1-2,M2-4,S2 OR FP1,FP3,M2-3,S2-3.
Reply 2
Thank you! It's much clearer now. I think I'll go for FP1-2, M2-4 and S2 for further maths, time to hit the books!
You're welcome. Good luck!
Why mechanics and not decision?
Original post by Protagoras
Why mechanics and not decision?

because decision is not helpful. whereas mechanics is for physics etc. Decision maths while in theory useful is taught to such a basic level with no real understanding required that I consider it pointless.
Reply 6
EDEXCEL A LEVEL UNITS.pdf hope this also helps
Original post by Elyune
Thank you! It's much clearer now. I think I'll go for FP1-2, M2-4 and S2 for further maths, time to hit the books!

Quick Reply

Latest