Disadvantaged Cambridge application if I'm happy to get a deferred offer?

Watch
Cobbleguin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
There is a question on the SAQ:

If you were unsuccessful in gaining a place for entry in October 2015 would you consider an offer for entry in October 2016?
If you answer ‘Yes’ and your application is placed in the Winter Pool, it will be considered by other Colleges for direct entry in 2015 before being considered for deferred entry. Your preference/allocated College will have the first opportunity to make a deferred entry offer. Please note that indicating ‘No’ will not disadvantage your application for 2015 entry in any way. If you are applying for 2016 entry answer this question N/A (not applicable).

They say it won't disadvantage my application to this year, but surely if they think I'm happy to wait a year and if they're getting full up on places then they'd put me next year?

So will it disadvantage me?
(i'm applying for computer science)
The Clockwork Apple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just be honest with your answer. Would you mind being deferred?
Also, I believe you can leave it blank.
I don't think it'd put you in a disadvantage, plus it means you're particularly keen on studying at Cambridge. What were your results?
Cobbleguin
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
Just be honest with your answer. Would you mind being deferred?
Also, I believe you can leave it blank.
I don't think it'd put you in a disadvantage, plus it means you're particularly keen on studying at Cambridge. What were your results?
I like your username :P

I wouldn't mind being deferred but it's not ideal. i don't have any plans for a gap year.
My GCSEs aren't great but my AS levels are As in all modules, with average UMS percentage being 92%.

Thanks
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cobbleguin)
So will it disadvantage me?
You haven't thought this through. Cambridge won't be giving deferred offers to borderline candidates. They will only want to give deferred places to those they believe will stand up to scrutiny when compared to next year's candidates, as well as this years - i.e. strong candidates.

If you are a strong candidate you have nothing to worry about, and being able to defer may make you a more attractive candidate. If you are weak or borderline then it will make no difference whatever.
The Clockwork Apple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cobbleguin)
I like your username :P

My GCSEs aren't great but my AS levels are As in all modules, with average UMS percentage being 92%.

Thanks
92% is great! Is it in relevant subjects?
I think you can make a very strong application. You are 1% off auto-pool.
Cobbleguin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
You haven't thought this through. Cambridge won't be giving deferred offers to borderline candidates. They will only want to give deferred places to those they believe will stand up to scrutiny when compared to next year's candidates, as well as this years - i.e. strong candidates.

If you are a strong candidate you have nothing to worry about, and being able to defer may make you a more attractive candidate. If you are weak or borderline then it will make no difference whatever.
Thanks for the advice!

(Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
92% is great! Is it in relevant subjects?
I think you can make a very strong application. You are 1% off auto-pool.
Thanks! They are in relevant subjects.
cmdexe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I put 'no' on the form and they still gave me a deferred offer through the pool. I don't think whether you put yes or no makes a difference to be honest!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (241)
60.86%
No (81)
20.45%
Not sure (74)
18.69%

Watched Threads