The Student Room Group

no spare time

at first i did manage to have some time to my self of to spend with friends but now i am getting so much to do i just have nothing spare. i have managed to keep on top of reading so far but i start a field course module that will involve a group presentation that i need to prepare for as well as other coursework. in my reading week i was hoping to have some time to catch up and then to relax a little but i don't see myself having this anymore. my birthday is in that week too and i was looking forward to that as one day where i could forget about working but i doubt i'll have much time to celebrate with everything i have to do.
i enjoy uni, but i am always so tired now, it is starting to get me down:frown:
Original post by tgwktm
at first i did manage to have some time to my self of to spend with friends but now i am getting so much to do i just have nothing spare. i have managed to keep on top of reading so far but i start a field course module that will involve a group presentation that i need to prepare for as well as other coursework. in my reading week i was hoping to have some time to catch up and then to relax a little but i don't see myself having this anymore. my birthday is in that week too and i was looking forward to that as one day where i could forget about working but i doubt i'll have much time to celebrate with everything i have to do.
i enjoy uni, but i am always so tired now, it is starting to get me down:frown:

First off, that is fantastic that you're all up to date with your reading :smile: How are you finding it? I studied history so found it impossible to read every book that was recommended but read the core texts. I also used to read "strategically" - i.e. with future assignments and essay titles in mind - kinda to kill two birds with one stone! Do you think that kind of approach may lighten the load a little for you?

Have you met your group yet re: the presentation? Maybe schedule some deadlines so all of the work is organised and that will be one less thing to worry about :smile:

You need to take time for yourself - that is so important! Enjoy your birthday - you deserve it! You'll come back to your studies feeling refreshed that way.
Is this your first year? I promise you it DOES get easier, the workload and probably being back off a long summer does just take some getting to used to. By the end of the first term when I could keep up on top of it all I finally began to mean understand whye veryone found university easy.

Set up a schedule and stick to it. You don't need to read every book on the reading list (unless you are specifically asked to) try and break it down using the contents and indexes to find out what you actually need to read. Make sure you meet with the people for your group work frequently. Try and schedules all the dates you are going meet in advance instead of just after each session, I personally find that alot more manageable.

It's important to take time off for yourself too, don't feel guilty relaxing on a friday night or taking your birthday off, especially if it's during reading week
Reply 3
Original post by She-Ra
First off, that is fantastic that you're all up to date with your reading :smile: How are you finding it? I studied history so found it impossible to read every book that was recommended but read the core texts. I also used to read "strategically" - i.e. with future assignments and essay titles in mind - kinda to kill two birds with one stone! Do you think that kind of approach may lighten the load a little for you?

Have you met your group yet re: the presentation? Maybe schedule some deadlines so all of the work is organised and that will be one less thing to worry about :smile:

You need to take time for yourself - that is so important! Enjoy your birthday - you deserve it! You'll come back to your studies feeling refreshed that way.

i don't read every book on the reading list either, i just make sure that i read something after each lecture and it has been working well. i have read more around the topics that are in my essays though. i do read strategically but its easier for one of my essays than for the other, one i understand perfectly and could probably write an answer to it now the other though i get really confused on and so its hard to read strategically when i don't fully understand what the essay is about.

i can't arrange times to meet yet cause my group presentation hasn't been fully introduced to us yet. i have a lecture next friday where it will be and then after that in our tutorials we are supposed to start work on it. originally the presentation date was going to be in the reading week but i got an email saying that it has been moved to the week after so that does mean my reading week is freed up a bit.

i want to be able to catch up with planning for my essays in my reading week and starting researching for them, but my friend is coming down from her uni that week too so i want to spend time with her too. i'm just worried about falling behind with essays and coursework especially with the bits i don't understand.
Reply 4
Original post by tillytots
Is this your first year? I promise you it DOES get easier, the workload and probably being back off a long summer does just take some getting to used to. By the end of the first term when I could keep up on top of it all I finally began to mean understand whye veryone found university easy.

Set up a schedule and stick to it. You don't need to read every book on the reading list (unless you are specifically asked to) try and break it down using the contents and indexes to find out what you actually need to read. Make sure you meet with the people for your group work frequently. Try and schedules all the dates you are going meet in advance instead of just after each session, I personally find that alot more manageable.

It's important to take time off for yourself too, don't feel guilty relaxing on a friday night or taking your birthday off, especially if it's during reading week

what course do you study?
yeah i am in my first year. i have got myself into a routine of reading something from my reading list after lectures, i am good at the reading making notes thing, but i find the language in a lot of books puts me off cause i read it but it is just words to me, i don't understand what they are saying. as i said above, i can't schedule a group meeting yet cause our presentation task won't be officially set until next friday, then i have 2 weeks until the day i present it. i have already done one group presentation and we arranged days to meet and did work then and exchanged emails so we could send each other work as and when we could do it, i'll suggest this to my group when we do start.

i just end up feeling so tired when i get home ( i commute in so on days when my last lecture ends at 6 i don't get home until 7 and on that day i also have to leave home at 7am so i basically have a 12 hour day 2 days in a row) and this means by the next day i am too tired to do much so then it all piles up on the last few days of the week where i have less lectures and more spare time but i have to use that to catch up on the last few days work. i am trying to promise myself to have sundays free of work. ( i made a rule during A levels that i would do this and it helped loads) but so far i haven't been able to stick to it.

i'm worried that i might end up hating my course.my friend complains that she has nothing to do, which doesn't help me either

sorry for the long moan btw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending