Solenoîds, Magnets and AC extravaganza

Watch
Zoey1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello yall!

I need some help with a data analysis I have to do... I feel like I've got all the tools I need, but I don't know how to bring it all together.

See, I've this here beautiful experiment :

Basically, I've got a solenoid with a soft iron core. The aluminium ring is placed on the core. I start the AC current, the ring is shot out with great speed and fury.

So, I've got data for the speed and acceleration of the ring for different tensions of the source. I also have the approximate magnetic field of around the iron core in relation to the tension. The weight of the ring and the number of spires of the solenoid as well.

Now... How do I analyze all of this pretty data?

I thought I could use Faraday's law to find the force felt by the ring as well as its internal current, and compare this to the experimental forces. However, I can only find examples of the force between two wires with current, nothing with a ring.

I also have trouble finding anything really about magnetic fields of an AC electromagnet. What is the variation of magnetic flux then?

I also would like to compare the experimental magnetic field with a theoretical value obtained from the characteristics of the solenoid and the iron core, but I don't even know where to start with that.

Also, I know how ridiculously in over my head I seem to be, but I am supposed to have a supervisor helping me with all those nitty-gritty details... However he hasn't answered my mails for three days, and I'm getting a bit worried. I really just want pointers for where to go from where I am.

Thanks for even reading all of this! It'd be even better if you'd leave something below
Attached files
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (24)
17.65%
I'm not sure (3)
2.21%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
33.09%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.21%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise