The Student Room Group

Functions

I've been thinking about a way to manually limit the domain of a function without writing next to the function the domain, for example dealing with real number the function f(x)=arcsin(x)f(x)=arcsin(x) is limited by 1<=x<=1-1 <= x <= 1

I was thinking about a modulus graph and how the graph f(x)=abs(2x)+abs(2+x)f(x)=abs(2-x) + abs(2+x) is flat between x=-2 and x=2

if you were to line this flat bit up with y = 1, and then reflect the function you could have that for x<-2 y<0 and x>2 y<0.

so if we were to square root this function we could have a multiplier that between values we could specify the multiplier does nothing, but outside this it turns the function complex.

this is only approximate because the liner line we put take the modulus of in sqrt(21(abs(10x)+abs(10+x)))sqrt(21-(abs(10-x) + abs(10+x))) would have to have an infinite gradient for this to work exactly, I'm curious if there are any better way to do this, using my multiplier we get graphs like this limited between x=-21/2 and x=21/2

https://twitter.com/fluffehadam/status/521708820108959744
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fluffehadam
I've been thinking about a way to manually limit the domain of a function without writing next to the function the domain, for example dealing with real number the function f(x)=arcsin(x)f(x)=arcsin(x) is limited by pi2<=x<=pi2-\frac{pi}{2} <= x <= \frac{pi}{2}

I was thinking about a modulus graph and how the graph f(x)=abs(2x)+abs(2+x)f(x)=abs(2-x) + abs(2+x) is flat between x=-2 and x=2

if you were to line this flat bit up with y = 1, and then reflect the function you could have that for x<-2 y<0 and x>2 y<0.

so if we were to square root this function we could have a multiplier that between values we could specify the multiplier does nothing, but outside this it turns the function complex.

this is only approximate because the liner line we put take the modulus of in sqrt(21(abs(10x)+abs(10+x)))sqrt(21-(abs(10-x) + abs(10+x))) would have to have an infinite gradient for this to work exactly, I'm curious if there are any better way to do this, using my multiplier we get graphs like this limited between x=-21/2 and x=21/2

https://twitter.com/fluffehadam/status/521708820108959744

what?

The domain indictor is only there for information.

If x>π2x>\frac{\pi}{2} then arcsin(x)\arcsin(x) is not defined. It is not 0.

Look up the heaviside step function you may be interested in this, or the signum function.

Also tip for latex use the backlash (\) before pi and sqrt e.g. \pi and \sqrt{} to get π\pi and ...\sqrt{...} and less then or equal is \le like here: \le
Reply 2
Cheers, sorry I meant arcsin between -1 and 1, and if you plot arcsin(x), the graph cuts off past x=1 or =-1 because it is not defined past these values, how would you force any function to be undefined past limits you can choose, this was my original question. I just thought to use a multiplier that becomes complex outside our defined domain, forcing it to become undefined in the real plane. And the best multiplier I have been able to find is (2000abs(999.5x+999.5)abs(999.5x999.5))\sqrt(2000-abs(999.5x+999.5) -abs(999.5x-999.5))

Quick Reply

Latest