phdparker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, hello, hey.
I'm not sure if there's an actual post on this, so I made one.

I am studying A Level English Lit. The exam board is WJEC and I'd like to know how I could exactly compare the pieces of poetry to attain a high grade?
I'm just wondering how the structure would be like.

Hope I've been specific enough. Thank you.
ashelisms
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am not in the same exam board, but I've done my fair share of poetry comparison, so hopefully these 'general tips' will help:

One thing: You've to be VERY familiar with your poetry selections. You don't necessarily have to memorise them (but if you have a photographic memory then it's an advantage), but you've to know the common themes in your selection and which poetry falls under which theme. What helps me is to make some notes, in this order (Theme -> Name of Poetry -> The phrases in named poetry which references the theme -> if any, technical devices). It's also a good idea to be aware of the context of the poems you've to compare!

Comparing them in the exam:
Say you're given a topic i.e theme of love and techniques of conveying it.
Write down a list of poems that you remember with this theme.
You can go two ways: talk about a sub-theme (say heartbreak) only or briefly touch on all sub-themes (heartbreak, romanticisation, etc etc). The former will require a minimum of 3 poems, but ideally should be closely analysed in the whole essay. The latter will require you to know a lot of poems, but you don't have to analyse them so closely, just enough to fit one paragraph per topic. Depends on what you're comfortable with!

OR

Say you're given a specific poem and you've to compare it.
If you remember what the poetry is about (or if it's given to you as an extract)
Write notes about its themes, its context and techniques. Make sure they link to the question!
From there, pull in from your memory poems which share similarities.
Let's say this poem in the exam talks about war, uses sibilance and has gory imagery.
How I would do it is this:
Two other poems that talk about war, and how each is different or similar to the one you're studying.
Two other poems with sibilance, and how each creates a similar effect or a different effect (depending).
Two other poems with gory imagery, and point out what is this imagery specifically, and the effect.

It's not necessarily two poems! If you can only think of one, that's probably it and you've to make do with that. But just saying this is how I would ideally go about it.

So you go write the essay, and in the end, summarise everything, and don't forget to include an opinion (why you think the poems are so good and effective or otherwise, basically).

This is a paragraph of my essay and more or less how I'll compare poems. I ran this through with my lecturer (like you I wasn't so sure about the extent of my comparison) but this is enough apparently.

But here it is I guess! Hopefully it helps
Attached files
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ashelisms)
I am not in the same exam board, but I've done my fair share of poetry comparison, so hopefully these 'general tips' will help
THese are amazing, thank you very much for taking the time to write this out
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by phdparker)
Hi, hello, hey.
I'm not sure if there's an actual post on this, so I made one.

I am studying A Level English Lit. The exam board is WJEC and I'd like to know how I could exactly compare the pieces of poetry to attain a high grade?
I'm just wondering how the structure would be like.

Hope I've been specific enough. Thank you.
I've moved this to the english forum for you
phdparker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ashelisms)
I am not in the same exam board, but I've done my fair share of poetry comparison, so hopefully these 'general tips' will help...
Thank you! I'd just like to say you're a life-saver who's helped to calm my nerves.
Again, thank you so much for writing this all out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads