The Student Room Group

need advice about applying for different subjects

My long term plan is to become a post-primary teacher in RE. to get there, i was hoping to apply to stran for a post primary degree in RE with Business as my second subject. Although, i am also hoping to apply to Queens to study a joint honours degree in History and theology. This means in my personal statement i have to express interest in all of my subjects, without making it irrelevant for the other course, can anyone give advice on how to do this effectively? thank you!
RE and theology are similar enough to get away with, but you couldn't write an adequate PS for two courses with different subject combinations like that (history vs. business). You need to decide which combination you prefer and adapt your course choices to make a PS that works for all your options I'm afraid
If you focus on talking about religious history then you could make that work if you are careful. For business talk about some work experience you've done and things you've learnt from it/what you've enjoyed about it so for a non-business admissions tutor it doesn't raise any red flags. It might be hard to get right but I think it's doable, but you risk the personal statement not seeming outstanding for either course to try and seem adequate for both
Original post by hopemcknight_
My long term plan is to become a post-primary teacher in RE. to get there, i was hoping to apply to stran for a post primary degree in RE with Business as my second subject. Although, i am also hoping to apply to Queens to study a joint honours degree in History and theology. This means in my personal statement i have to express interest in all of my subjects, without making it irrelevant for the other course, can anyone give advice on how to do this effectively? thank you!

Realistically, you're not going to have enough space to discuss history or business in the depth needed. Joint honours courses usually want to see 50% of the statement devoted to each subject. If your main interest is RE/theology, it might be better to apply for single honours theology courses, alongside one or other joint degree, or decide which joint degree you want to study.
Reply 4
Original post by hopemcknight_

I applied straight theology at 4 Unis then theology and history at the 5th and didn't write anything explicitly about history in my PS, but that I was interested in the history of religion and enjoyed the subject. I got an offer for theology and history so I wouldn't worry too much, the subjects are similar enough to address together and as its only one uni it should make it easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending