Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ooh also, although my friends from other education authorities have had their forms through school, yesterday my school said my borough has to do it online...when's the closing date for doing it online, as if you go to the website you'l see you can't even fill it in yet.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, the famous internet application idea never really worked out for them did it, it was supposed to go up yesterday (yes 2days before deadline!). I still can't see it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    Lol, the famous internet application idea never really worked out for them did it, it was supposed to go up yesterday (yes 2days before deadline!). I still can't see it!
    Well they said it was ment to be online during april. I would have prefered to have applied online, but as I applied for non-income assessed I didn't feel like trusting them to get the system online in time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    lol true i was saying to someone, how bloody close to the end of april do they wanna get lol

i posted my form yest...bit last min, had to do next day/special delivery!

ReputationRep:
    Serendipity - your LEA (Local Education Authority) should send you a pack of stuff - last year I got my first form (we had loadsa forms one after the other last year) from school, as the majority of my year live in under West Berkshire LEA, and we had a talk in school and they gave us the form. However a few of my friends live in Hampshire, under a different LEA, however the school still had some forms for them. I'd suggest if you haven't got one to phone up your LEA and ask them to send you one.

Also, to anyone, am I right in thinking the max loan this year from the 75% non-income assessed is £3070, rather than £3000 like it was last year? Because I got to the end of the PN1 form, and it says to tick if you want student loan, and then fill in how much you'd like to take out - so after much looking through all the booklets they'd sent I managed to find a table, so I wrote in £3070. I'm sure if this is wrong I'll get a phone call telling me I'm not allowed it anyway! Just they haven't made it very clear at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    shiit, does this apply to deferred entry?

Edit: Wait i'm very stupid, i'm from Scotland, i deal with the SOAS not the english one.
    I think you mean SAAS! SOAS is The School of Oriental and African Studies!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Just to clarify (and confirm) the non-income assessed deadline IS tomorrow (Friday 30th April).

I sent the dfes this:

Sent: 27 April 2004 12:48
    To: FEEDBACK, HE-Student-Support
    Subject: Contact from Student Support website

On he website about How to apply for new students it says:

"Timing of applications
    We strongly recommend that if you want your first instalment of financial support to be available at the start of term, you should return your application form as soon as possible. You can apply from March 2004, but must return your form no later than 2 July 2004 (new students) or 28 May 2004 (current students). Late applications may result in late payments."

But on the help for filling in the form it says the deadling for non-income-assessed support is 30th April.

Which deadline is correct? And if it's the earlier one why doesn't it say so on the website?
    They replied with:
    Dear Helen
    Thank you for your e-mail
    The deadlines given in the passage you quote are for students who wish
    to have their household income assessed by their Local Education Authority
    (LEA). Help with fees and student loans is partially dependent on how
    much household income a student has. If, however, a student knows that their household income is above the level at which they will qualify for the
    full or partial remission of fees or the full student loan, they can opt to
    apply for non income assessed support (i.e.; their household income is not
    assessed). For these students the deadline is April 30.

LEAs can accept later applications from students. The reason that these
    deadlines are given is that these are the latest application dates
    which LEAs can guarantee that the student's support will be available for the
    start of term.

If you have any further questions regarding your own application you
    should speak to your LEA who will be able to tell you when you should apply.

I hope this is helpful
    Yours sincerely
    John Gorman
    DfES Student Support
    Late application will *not* mean you wont get any cash - it will mean it might be a few weeks/months into term before you recieve your first loan cheque.

How much this will effect you will depend on how much you have in savings (or will have by September/October).

If you haven't recieved a form and don't have th time to get a pack sent from your LEA the forms are available on the website
    http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...or_forms.shtml
    Print them out fill them in and get on the bus to your LEAs student funding office to hand them in in person (or pay the Royal Mail to do it for you).

ReputationRep:
    ok say like me u've handed in your form when dya get ya loan im guessin u pay for the first bit of ur accomdation with ya own money?! may sound like a silly question but ive got no clue!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by babyboo)
    ok say like me u've handed in your form when dya get ya loan im guessin u pay for the first bit of ur accomdation with ya own money?! may sound like a silly question but ive got no clue!
    (caveat - this is how things work here in Soton and how it worked in RH when I was there, it's possible that things are different elsewhere)

Your first loan cheque will be handed out during freshers week/registration.

After this loan payments will be paid by direct debit.

Whether it will be in time to pay your hall fees will depend how soon into term your university demand payment - the accommadation office will be able to let you know this, and you should get a timetable of events (including when loan cheques will be available) soon after results day. If you want to know before this then contact the Fees Office/Student Support Office/Loan Office (or similar) at your chosen university and ask them what day loan cheques will be available for collection during freshers week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    (caveat - this is how things work here in Soton and how it worked in RH when I was there, it's possible that things are different elsewhere)

Your first loan cheque will be handed out during freshers week/registration.

After this loan payments will be paid by direct debit.

Whether it will be in time to pay your hall fees will depend how soon into term your university demand payment - the accommadation office will be able to let you know this, and you should get a timetable of events (including when loan cheques will be available) soon after results day. If you want to know before this then contact the Fees Office/Student Support Office/Loan Office (or similar) at your chosen university and ask them what day loan cheques will be available for collection during freshers week.
    awww thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I got all 3 installments of loan by direct debit, directly into my bank (the first one should go into the bank in your first week - once you register with the uni in Freshers Week, it should come through). Also, I'm sure most uni's offer several ways of paying for accomodation. I am paying mine (its basically what my loan goes on) and had the option to pay for the full amount of £2700 in September, or pay in 3 installments at the beginning of each term, or pay monthy. I've chosen monthly as the amount of loan I get in each installment doesn't quite cover the cost of the accomodation if I were to pay it in 3 installments (ie the accomodation for the first 2 terms is £1100, loan is £990, accomodation for 3rd term is £500, loan is £1020) if you see what I mean, and it worked out ok monthly with the income my parents give me.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.studentsupportdirect.co.u...chema=PROTOCOL

this facility is planned to be available from April 2004.
    the deadline is 2mrw and it's still not open! right well thats my excuse for not getting it in on time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I got all 3 installments of loan by direct debit, directly into my bank (the first one should go into the bank in your first week - once you register with the uni in Freshers Week, it should come through). Also, I'm sure most uni's offer several ways of paying for accomodation. I am paying mine (its basically what my loan goes on) and had the option to pay for the full amount of £2700 in September, or pay in 3 installments at the beginning of each term, or pay monthy. I've chosen monthly as the amount of loan I get in each installment doesn't quite cover the cost of the accomodation if I were to pay it in 3 installments (ie the accomodation for the first 2 terms is £1100, loan is £990, accomodation for 3rd term is £500, loan is £1020) if you see what I mean, and it worked out ok monthly with the income my parents give me.
    hmm thanks for that thats really useful to know i dint realise there were so many different ways u could do things!! not really sure what i'll do if i get into my firm!

ReputationRep:
    I thought the first deadline was for PRIORITY of the non-income assessed ones. I'm not too sure now.

I'm still waiting for my parents' P60s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    I thought the first deadline was for PRIORITY of the non-income assessed ones. I'm not too sure now.

I'm still waiting for my parents' P60s.
    Did you bother reading the first post of the thread ?!

ReputationRep:
    I am one of those who haven't received the forms for student loan application for 2nd year yet, and that is really annoying. I am not the only one (some of my friends haven't either), and to be honest, if expression hadn't posted this thread, I still wouldn't have had a clue about when the deadline is. I am sure that quite a few people might be in that position, not even knowing that the deadline is tomorrow, for the simple reason that we haven't received any forms, or werent actually informed about it. Why is it that we haven't received any forms? It is the LEA's fault that they will get late applications, as they didn't post the forms. Or were we supposed to use our initiative and remember that we have to print or get the forms even though we don't know the date of deadline? Has anyone complained about this? Sorry bout my rant, but just had to let it out!
    Oh well, I'm gonna print out the form, post it tomorrow (have no choice), and have a late application (all be it by just a couple of days).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I am one of those who haven't received the forms for student loan application for 2nd year yet, and that is really annoying. I am not the only one (some of my friends haven't either), and to be honest, if expression hadn't posted this thread, I still wouldn't have had a clue about when the deadline is. I am sure that quite a few people might be in that position, not even knowing that the deadline is tomorrow, for the simple reason that we haven't received any forms, or werent actually informed about it. Why is it that we haven't received any forms? It is the LEA's fault that they will get late applications, as they didn't post the forms. Or were we supposed to use our initiative and remember that we have to print or get the forms even though we don't know the date of deadline? Has anyone complained about this? Sorry bout my rant, but just had to let it out!
    Oh well, I'm gonna print out the form, post it tomorrow (have no choice), and have a late application (all be it by just a couple of days).
    I don't think the LEA care if its late. I phoned today because they gave me the wrong form and she wasn't even bothered about it being late. What do they do if its late, I think it just means that you wont have your money before september.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hattori)
    I don't think the LEA care if its late. I phoned today because they gave me the wrong form and she wasn't even bothered about it being late. What do they do if its late, I think it just means that you wont have your money before september.
    Not even that bad - it just means that they wont *guarantee* that you'll have your money by september....if everyone is running late then it's likely that even the early late forms will be in plenty of time (if that makes sense - I mean the ones they recieve over the next week or two).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Could somebody please explain to me why oh why oh why the income assessed loan applications are due later than the non income assessed ones. The non income assessed ones are going to involve minimal processing, minimal work. The income assessed ones will involve all sorts of checking up, sorting out, etc. Surely these need to be due in first.
    I think its because people applying for income-assesed support will need forms like P60s and others to see how much their parents earned, and these come in usually april/maybe may, so will need more time to fill out the forms. whereas people doing the non-income assesed forms could have filled the form out (to emply a hyperbole) a decade ago.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I think its because people applying for income-assesed support will need forms like P60s and others to see how much their parents earned, and these come in usually april/maybe may, so will need more time to fill out the forms. whereas people doing the non-income assesed forms could have filled the form out (to emply a hyperbole) a decade ago.
    I got my P60 today

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.