Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I've been given the essay title "Epigenetic effects cannot alter the DNA sequence. Why are evolutionary biologists interested in them?" for a 2000 word assignment and have no idea how to do it! I'm doing a zoology degree so was a bit stumped when I was given this question as it was so genetic-based! I've been reading up on it and have a better idea of how to answer it but am still not feeling confident. So, I was wondering if any helpful (evolutionary) biologists could give me a rough idea of how to do this (like an essay plan or something brief) as I'm not really sure how to answer this other than epigenetic effects are heritable and so passed on to successive generations?? I'd be really grateful for any help as I am feeling quite clueless. Thanks for any help I'd be so grateful! :-)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I think it's good for zoologists to cover genetics, it comes under the branch of biologically-related courses so it's important for you to cover the fundamentals of biology, especially molecular biology.

If you look at this wiki page, it'll tell you all about specific epigenetic modifications and processes which occur in a cell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

There's also a list of the growing importance of studying epigenetics, but the question wants you to focus on the evolutionary importance. I'll admit I'm not familiar with their evolutionary importance, so it's probably best if you wait for someone else to help you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2014

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.