The Student Room Group

Is it too early?

It's about a month and a bit into A-Levels now and I'm starting to get stressed out. Is it too early for me to be this stressed? Generally I'm a really stressful person, I can't relax and get so nervous. If i don't understand something I'm too scared to ask my teacher because I feel like they'll judge me. Sometimes i know the answer in my head but I won't answer in class because there's that fear of being wrong and being humiliated, my teachers have been saying this since primary school. I'm just really scared of failing.
Original post by princessmaroon
It's about a month and a bit into A-Levels now and I'm starting to get stressed out. Is it too early for me to be this stressed? Generally I'm a really stressful person, I can't relax and get so nervous. If i don't understand something I'm too scared to ask my teacher because I feel like they'll judge me. Sometimes i know the answer in my head but I won't answer in class because there's that fear of being wrong and being humiliated, my teachers have been saying this since primary school. I'm just really scared of failing.

Yes, it is too soon to be stressed. But let this stress be a good thing, you're stressing yourself out, change how you study and think. You MUST ask questions, you WONT be humiliated. change your mentality girl, you got this, I believe :wink:
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Yes, it is too soon to be stressed. But let this stress be a good thing, you're stressing yourself out, change how you study and think. You MUST ask questions, you WONT be humiliated. change your mentality girl, you got this, I believe :wink:

Thank you:tongue: You're right, I do need to start asking questions but I guess it will take some time to gain confidence. Yes, my mentality needs to change. My GCSE grades were mediocre and I'm determined to get top grades at AS.
Thank you:tongue: You're right, I do need to start asking questions but I guess it will take some time to gain confidence. Yes, my mentality needs to change. My GCSE grades were mediocre and I'm determined to get top grades at AS.

Don't fret ! Just be confident. IT may take time, but try your best. Start by speaking to your teachers after lesson when there aren't as many students around. Get to know your teachers, trust me, they can so much more friendly to approach if you know them well ! Get to know people in all your lessons, that way, even if you do get laughed at, it's all banter, after all, you're all friends :biggrin:

Sometimes laughing is a good thing, dw about it girl. :smile:
Approaching teachers seems scary and when they say that I should email them if i don't understand, i know this may be a silly question but how on earth do you email teachers? I don't want to come across as being too informal
Approaching teachers seems scary and when they say that I should email them if i don't understand, i know this may be a silly question but how on earth do you email teachers? I don't want to come across as being too informal

I'm exactly the same! My teacher always puts 'lots of love' and 3 kisses at the end of every email she sends to her sixth formers. She's the loveliest person but I sit there thinking, "how on earth do I respond to that?!"

But really just don't over think it. Just say 'hello x' and then thanks at the end of something. Saying kind regards and all that may be a bit too formal. I doubt they pay much attention to the wording of your email unless it's overly informal/formal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EleanorFrost
I'm exactly the same! My teacher always puts 'lots of love' and 3 kisses at the end of every email she sends to her sixth formers. She's the loveliest person but I sit there thinking, "how on earth do I respond to that?!"

But really just don't over think it. Just say 'hello x' and then thanks at the end of something. Saying kind regards and all that may be a bit too formal. I doubt they pay much attention to the wording of your email unless it's overly informal/formal.

Ah thank you! You're right,they get tonnes of emails every day too. I probably am just over-thinking it aha
I dont mean to unease yiu but from this time last year right until finishing in July i was stressed, depressed, tired, sick of getting up in the morning and hated everything about 6th form.

I hated the work load and had a bad lazy mentality which didnt go well wity problems like being split between my divorced mum and dad and annoying siblings who (without being a steretypical sibbling) made life a lot worse.

But having pulled through i found a sense of direction of what i wanted to do (biology teaching). Then i started A2 and now it feels like a new me. Ready to learn with a set route to Uni and im applying as we speak.

Due to that being the worst year of my life i have the satisfaction on noticing how resilient i was and how well i did to pull though and now i appreciate my study and enjoy it.

Every cloud has a silver lining and yes A-Levels are a shed load of work but if your teachers seem lazy (like mine were and that they didnt care) you NEED to ask for help. Its the least you can do.

Please dont give up and keep a positive mental attitude. You CAN do it, just NOT JET so dont let stress get to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Weirdly enough, I was at my most stressed at the beginning of AS and incredibly calm during exam season.

Your teachers won't judge you, honestly. I used to stay behind weekly in maths to get help. Stay behind after a lesson if you're too nervous to email (which I always phrase as "Hi, [x], Thanks").

Don't give up yet! I was disheartened by my good, but not amazing GCSEs, but managed to turn it around to good AS levels.

Quick Reply

Latest